ptjones

FFH has a 14.1gal Fuel Tank

The car computer mpg calculations are the most precise and repeatable. They usually have an offset error that is constant and once you know what it is, the corrected mpg is the most accurate. Variations in fueling pump shutoff levels produce much more inaccuracy. For instance, my 2010 FFH calculations are 4 % too high for mpg. The odometer, however reads 2 % low in miles traveled. That yields an overall error of 2 % high in the mpg calculations. That's 1 mpg.

Not over the long term it doesn't.

How DID you determine the error factor with the onboard calculation if not by manual filling ??

But I also generally agree with what you said.

And just out of curiosity, how did you go about figuring the error factor with the ODO ?

The long term is correct; probably 10 fill ups. That's how I got the correction factor. I got the odometer error by comparing GPS distances and interstate mile markers with the odometer. Everything agrees. The odometer error did not measurably change over 60K miles of the OEM Michelins tire life.

Fueling is probably only accurate at repeat fill-ups with auto shut off of the same pump.

This car very accurately knows how much fuel it is using. It needs to know for a variety of operational reasons so the calculations are easy. Why are they always too high? Marketing and the lack of strict regulations. The net 2% error that I've measured is very low. They could make it 0.2 % if they wanted to.

Edited by lolder