GrySql

FFH factoids & parts quiz

The CVT in the Freestyle is a concoction of sheeves and chains. Not many moving parts in it, but it is interesting in its own way. Surprised they last as long as they do with the metal chain on metal sheeve.

I don't believe there are any solenoids in the eCVT like there are in automatic transmissions. There is no change of gear engagement. Nothing "shifts". The failures we have heard of recently are "noisy, grinding sounds" which is most likely mechanical.

The CVT in the Freestyle is a concoction of sheeves and chains. Not many moving parts in it, but it is interesting in its own way. Surprised they last as long as they do with the metal chain on metal sheeve.

Yes, there are a lot of that type around now. I wonder why they don't get groves worn in them?

Yes, there are a lot of that type around now. I wonder why they don't get groves worn in them?

From what I have seen of it, the chain has plastic on the edges that contact the sheeves, so no metal on metal contact.