I had this great thing going. Book an appointment or make a hotel reservation and put the location in my Google Calendar. Whenever I am ready for the next stop on my itinerary, open the calendar on my smart phone, click the location, bring it up in Google Maps, swipe to share, and click an app, "Send to Car." The app sent the address to Sync and I didn’t have to type the address into the nav system or into Sync Destinations. It was quick and easy.

Just recently, Google stopped sending city and state info when sharing from Maps but only street address and a Google map point. So, the Send to Car app isn’t working. Does anyone know another way to get an address to Sync without having to enter the address letter by letter into the nav system or Sync Destinations?

Well you can select a spot on the map in the destinations app, but you need to know where to look. You would think it would have voice recognition by now since most smart phones do this already.

Being at the mercy of Microsoft is bad enough. Being at the mercy of Google isn't any better, it seems.

Being at the mercy of Microsoft is bad enough. Being at the mercy of Google isn't any better, it seems.

Hi Gigi,

If you have an active subscription to SYNC Services, you can also use MapQuest.com to send a destination to SYNC: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/getting-directions-sync-myford-touch

Have you already tried this? Let me know if you have any questions :).

Kim

Hi Gigi,

If you have an active subscription to SYNC Services, you can also use MapQuest.com to send a destination to SYNC: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/getting-directions-sync-myford-touch

Have you already tried this? Let me know if you have any questions :).

Kim

Kim,

Sending a location to Sync from MapQuest.com works fine if I am at a computer.

The problem is being on the road and working from an Android smartphone. The MapQuest app doesn't share to Sync. The Send to Car app shows up as a share link, but it doesn't work, returning an error message, "The shared link was not a valid Google Maps link."

The Sync Destinations app is practically useless. It doesn't allow pasting from the clipboard. Every letter needs to be entered.

Google Calendar, Google Maps, and Send to Car was working quickly and easily. I'm bummed. Taking five minutes to enter an address into an app or the nav system letter by letter is a PITA.

Kim,

The problem is being on the road and working from an Android smartphone. The MapQuest app doesn't share to Sync. The Send to Car app shows up as a share link, but it doesn't work, returning an error message, "The shared link was not a valid Google Maps link."

The Sync Destinations app is practically useless. It doesn't allow pasting from the clipboard. Every letter needs to be entered.

Google Calendar, Google Maps, and Send to Car was working quickly and easily. I'm bummed. Taking five minutes to enter an address into an app or the nav system letter by letter is a PITA.

i use the same way and mine is working fine maybe uninstall the app and try again if not you should contact the creator of the app

Kim,

I can send from Google Maps to SYNC with my Android phone. No issues here.

i use the same way and mine is working fine maybe uninstall the app and try again if not you should contact the creator of the app

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

I reloaded Send to Car, but that didn't solve the problem.

I forced Google Maps to revert to the original version that came on the phone and then updated to the current version. Apparently that has solved the problem. Hurray!

I hate these sorts of problems and at the same time I love fixing them when I can.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

I reloaded Send to Car, but that didn't solve the problem.

I forced Google Maps to revert to the original version that came on the phone and then updated to the current version. Apparently that has solved the problem. Hurray!

I hate these sorts of problems and at the same time I love fixing them when I can.

Thanks for everyone's help!

That's good news! I'm glad you were able to figure it out :).

Kim

Edited by FordIVTteam

Glad that worked, but on their blog, Google announced that Google Maps would no longer be able to send destinations to not only Sync but also to OnStar users as of July 2014. I fear that fixes may be temporary

I tried this out the other day and it's great! BTW, it seems that this app uses the Google result and spoofs Mapquest when sending to Sync, so it probably doesn't matter if Google supports it or not...

I tried this out the other day and it's great! BTW, it seems that this app uses the Google result and spoofs Mapquest when sending to Sync, so it probably doesn't matter if Google supports it or not...

I have been using the Send to Car app for several months and really like the ability to send a destination easily to the car from my (Android) phone. (I just tested it again to make sure it was still working and it is). The MapQuest send to car function also works great as long as you are on a computer.

I spend about three days on the road each week. It is so convenient to load the addresses for each appointment and hotel into Google Calendar before I leave, bring up the calendar when I'm on the road and ready to go to the next destination, click the location to bring it up in Maps, swipe, click Send to Car, and then one more click and Sync has the destination. The biggest pain when all is working well is getting Sync to understand the word "Yes" when Sync asks "Would you like directions to that destination?" The secret, I've found, is to emphasize the sss at the end of "yes." Technology is great when it actually makes work easier.

^^^^ +1 to that! I thought it was just me, but Sync VR doesn't seem to work as well as MFT VR. Usually takes me a couple of yesses!

Me too!!