Gigi

1st Gen Summer Fuel Economy

Why are you set at 60 ? Put the AC on Auto, 72º F., Recirc on. When parked, use windshield sun shade, crack windows and moonroof, drive for several blocks with all windows open with heat soaked car. This car cools down really fast which might be 10 minutes which will hit your mpg.

I have just examined in my 2010 FFH the difference between Auto with Recir On and Max AC. Max AC turns Recirc on but it doesn't change the temp setting ( to 60 ?? ). In a heat soaked car there's no discernible difference between the two modes. In a stabilized temperature car, Max AC increases the fan speed slightly and the compressor slightly and keeps the panel vents on. This results in more airflow over the evaporator and more dehumidifying. There has to be some heat added to keep the temperature the same. I think the best compromise is Auto with Recir. on. Drivers choice.

The 13 sets the temp to LO on MAX ac. I dont remember the 10 since I rarely used AC. I rarely use it in my 13 unless its really humid. Today was mid 90's and used the 4.25x55 AC. 4 windows and sunroof vented driving 55 mPH kept us nice and cool

Yeah black cars do have that one undesirable affect. My 2010 was Atlantis green, just a shade above black. It kept getting written up as black by the dealer until I pointed out it was green. They looked close and said, oh wow it is green. It had a Dune interior though which helped out a lot.

Elevated engine temperatures improve efficiency and the HVB is cooled by cabin air. It likes the same temperature people do. My 2010 has the quickest and most powerful AC of any car I have owned in S. FL. It should do fine anywhere. A heat soaked dark car will always take longer to cool down.

Here is something to strive for. All highway trip.

563189_510085279033611_986596045_n.jpg

Money talks, all else walks? Just think how many Starbucks those extra MPG gets you! :)

You've got a point. The difference between 43 mpg and, say, 37 mpg for 700 miles is about $7.00.

It's a good example to use when talking about a hybrid vs non Hybrid. Non Hybrid gets say 20 MPG, the Hybrid gets, say 40 MPG. A gallon of gas is $4. I drive 40 miles, I use one gallon of gas in the Hybrid, I drive the non Hybrid, I use 2 gallons of gas. By driving the Hybrid I saved $4, enough to buy 4 large McDonalds Coffees.

I would love nothing more than to drive my MKT every day, but $8 a day adds up quickly. Thats the difference between the Fusion and MKT round trip. (though the HyTi is getting 47+)

I never considered the higher price of the Hybrid a Premium, its all part of the package. When you add it lack of maintenance costs too, that "premium" goes down considerably. Oil changes every 10K, brakes every 100K or so. Tires wear no matter what you drive. In a non Hybrid, if you get 30K on a set of brakes you are doing good.

When you put on the miles that I do though, $150 or more a month in gas savings alone adds up fast. If the "premium" is $1500, 10 months, done.

The altitude added 10 mpg to that figure if it took you 1 1/2 hours to do it. The altitude gave you 6 hp hrs. 40 mpg is a good summertime figure and your long term is right even with mine.