Griswald

Efficiency on longer highway trips...

This morning I was SO close to a perfect score, then just before I reached my wife's office did a 99% and 94%. For some reason the brake feel changes in my car, where it feels like there is none then push just a touch more and hit service brakes. Anyhow, leaving the house with a full charge I got a 49+. For my driving, staying on ICE does seem to return the best. I have been doing the EV P&G all last week and yesterday and only seeing a 44 MPG tank, so it does matter.

If you had only the 141 HP Atkinson cycle 2.0L engine it would seem underpowered. It would also need a conventional transmission which may not be as efficient.

Either way, I hate driving a car with a shifting transmission. And this Fusion has almost 40k miles on it and the shifting is incredibly rough. Each time the transmission shifts the car lurches. I don't know how anyone can drive a car like that...

The FFH ICE would work fine with a CVT, but would be very underpowered. I also think that you are spoiled driving the Hybrids, after so many years driving one I find conventional trannies harsh too.

However, mating the Atkinson without the Ecvt would not make a very efficient ride, the fuel used to get up to speed would be far more than a normal ICE since it wont have the Electric assist you get from the Hybrid side. Once up to speed and cruising on level roads with low resistance, you should see good economy, but any grade would put it back into fuel sucking mode. The current ICE and ECVT is a perfect match, it just needs more tweaking in the programming. Hopefully at some point Ford will come out with new programming to lower the EV threshold at highway speeds to force more HVB charge into the pack to match what some of us are seeing doing this technique.