boxerman

Fusion and LONG Commute...

GAP is a good option to have if you have a large finance on the vehicle and know that if for some reason the car gets totaled in a crash you will be upside down on it, paying for a car you no longer have. Been there, Done that. For me it was the best $600 insurance policy I ever had. Same goes for extended warranties, if you put on a lot of miles you can get a short term high mile warranty, and be covered for 125K miles. You dont have to get either of these from the Dealer, you can purchase both afterwards from independent companies, Flood Ford has the best prices on ESP.

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to purchase a low-mileage 2013 Fusion Hybrid. I'm a die-hard Ford fan, but have mainly had trucks (ie. gas guzzlers). This will be my first hybrid...

I now drive about 210 miles per day, 4 to 5 times a week - upwards of 1,000 miles per week (rural driving). With me spinning the odometer like that, I'm wondering if this is the best choice in the long run - what I mean is, do you think it would be best to invest in a low mileage "econo-car" for about 12K, or the awesome Fusion Hybrid considering I will be putting an enormous amount of miles on it? I'm worried about it depreciating very fast, whereas an "econo-car" doesn't have very far to fall on the "worth-meter".

Beyond that, in my situation, is GAP insurance or extended warranty recommended?

Thank you for your time!

Your best option would be a Chevy Cruze Diesel, not a Ford but they don't give you a light duty diesel option. The Cruze Diesel is EPA rated at 45 mpg and users are reporting easily topping 50 mpg at highway speed. The Cruze Diesel does not have the reported problems you see with the VW TDI's (blown turbos in the Passat and High Pressure Fuel Pumps in the Jetta/Golf). If you are going with an automatic transmission the VW Diesel DSG will cost you another $400.00 every 40k miles for transmission fluid changes. The Cruze Diesel uses a conventional automatic and is warranted for up to B20 biodiesel where the VW Diesel generally only warrants up to B5 unless you live in Illinois.

Edited by darrelld

The price of diesel in your area does make a big difference. Congrats on the Fusion and I hope you get the mileage you are seeking. I knew when I traded my Passat TDI for my Fusion Hybrid there would be some loss of higway mileage but the tradeoff in reliability in the Fusions favor was worth it to me.