My2cents

Highway MPG

With 5 passengers(3 adults and 2 little ones), expect to get 35 MPG at 80 MPH and 42 MPG @ 65 MPH. Doing 70-75 would place you right in the middle, with fewer passengers you could see slightly higher. But of course YMMV. This was based on my road trip last July with temps between 70 and 90*, AC on. With slightly lower temps, and no AC use, it can go a bit higher too.

In any case, you can't find another car like this that will do this well on the highway. You can find lessor cars that do better. The 2010 FFH I had did up to 65 MPG on the highway @ 65 MPH, but that was an extreme case and traffic weather and wind helped a LOT that day. A Prius can do as well as 75 MPG @ 65 MPH, but is a far cry from the Fusion. Camry, Forgetaboutit, that one did not do well at 65 MPH, 35 was about it.

Compare feature to feature to any other midsize sedan, and the Fusion is pretty much tops when it comes to this. The Honda might do better on the highway but it does not have what the Fusion has to offer. From what I read, you would not like it either with how it operates at highway speeds, Clunky jerky ICE interaction.

First, The 1.6 is manual only, so good luck finding one unless you order it. The 1.5 is the automatic version, and it is rated at 36 Highway. These also limit you on what options you can get(why Ford does this, don't know). If you wanted the Adaptive Cruise, it is only available on the Hybrid SE and HyTi, or the 2.0 Ecoboost. If you do a lot of highway, it is an awesome option and well worth it. If you drive a LOT of miles like I do, in the long run the Hybrid option does pay for itself. On average the non Hybrids I had, got 22 MPG tops, even at 35 MPG that is a substantial savings. In reality you will probably get about 30 in the non Hybrid if all you do is highway driving, and once you go Hybrid, you will find yourself playing the MPG game and eventually will lock on to that perfect speed setting and not worry about how fast you are going.

Those numbers I posted above are real world numbers over a 400 mile trip, 65 MPH getting 42 MPG is pretty damned good.

Sounds about right. Thats about what I get in that kind of driving, which it pretty much my daily drive without the Interstate.