Gregavi

Dead Battery

Watching the status of the 12 volt battery has always been the responsibility of vehicle owner or his designated service facility. The only difference here is that you don't get the traditional warning of listening to to sound of your engine starter attempt to crank the engine, and thereby getting a clue to the battery capacity by that feedback. I have a $20, 100 amp battery capacity checker that I got at Harbor Freight, and my threshold on a car 12 volt battery is that the voltage level is greater than 10.4 volts when loaded at a 100 amps. This meter is nothing but an analog voltage meter set across a large low impedence resistor. My original 12 volt battery still reads 10.6 volts at 100 amps, so after 4 years and 90K miles, I will not be replacing it yet. At 80K miles my dealer confirmed with his load tester that the battery was fine, when I got my free oil change, (every other one is still free at this dealer). I never leave anything plugged into my inside power outlet, because just as a small leak can sink a great ship, a small amperage drain can kill a great battery.