acdii

A whole new noise

This morning my wife was not feeling well so staid home, I dropped the kids off at the inlaws, spring break for them, so when I pulled in I heard a sound I never heard before, thought maybe something in the trunk was hitting the springs, nope. After they were dropped off, heard it again pulling out, then again pulling away. I have always heard this thunk come from the right rear, and dealer could not hear it, or locate any problems. I continued to hear the noise all the way to work, then on the way home it was even louder. It sounds like someone hitting a barrel or drum, and it resonates through the car. I felt it int he seat a few times too. It really made a lot of noise making a sharp right turn where the car leaned a lot to the left.

So I stopped at the dealer, and got a mech to ride in the back. No noise. Then he got in the front, no noise. I got on a really rough road and finally got a loud thunk, but the resonating noise was not there. I then let him drive it by himself, he thinks he heard it, but is not sure, so they will have it Thursday to really drive it to see if they can reproduce it.

My wife met me at the dealer thinking that they would take the car, but she really just wanted to drive the MKT. She swapped with me and picked up the kids. She heard the noise a few times too, so it looks like it thunks with many people in the car, my mom, wife and kids and it thunks a lot, with the wife and I, only on really hard bumps, but only one person, it makes that awful resonating thump.

Hopefully they can get this resolved.

No ice, its been above freezing long enough that most of the snow is gone. Thankfully its melting slow enough so as not to flood the yard and seep into the basement. I had thought it was ice buildup last time, since it went away after a thaw, but this is a whole new noise, one it never made before.

This noise is from the back, so not that TSB. It could be the exhaust, which is something I was thinking too. I wonder if striking ice chunks over the winter could have bent something. I hit at least three of them that made an awful noise when they hit under the car, but they had it on the lift last week and didn't notice anything.

So last night when we went out to bed the horses, I removed everything from the trunk, then lifted the cover for the spare hole. I went to pull out the compressor and dropped it, only about 1/2", and there is was, THRUM. So I removed the compressor and put it in my MKT for now. This morning, nice and quiet, or so I thought. Dropped off the wife, and driving down the street to my office there are speed humps. 25 MPH road, first hump THUNK!. Second hump THUNK! So now, were there two different things going on? I will take 31 again on the way home where I heard the really scary thrum ting clunk when going around the corner and see if its still there. If not, and least one noise resolved. Still has a suspension clunk though.