jsolan

AWD Hybrid Sedans

About fire engines, in the early '40's, I was about 4 or 5 and my Dad and I were at the volunteer fire company on Sat morning. He worked for the New Jersey Bell Tel and was older so he had a deferment and didn't serve in WWII. The station fire alarm went off and he was the only driver present and he couldn't leave me alone so off we went in the Ahrens-Fox open cab with me in the right front seat ringing the bell. Just outside of town we arrived at a farm house with flames shooting through the roof. The house was saved and may be there still. That's an engraved memory. The volunteer companies of that day had sparkling antigue engines that they entered in contests.

About noise, one of the engines was a pumper with the big chrome dome in the front and a big 4 cylinder engine with little muffling. I lived a few doors from one of the chiefs. When the sirens went off, we would bike to his house and listen to a chime on his stoop that rang off a two digit code for the location. Off we'd go on our bikes to see it. If we didn't hear the chimes, we'd wait to hear that pumper as you could hear it for miles and we got there that way.

Here's a link to the company and the pumper is the upper right picture:http://www.moorestownfire.org/htmlfiles/history.html

Edited by lolder