tr7driver

More on Consumer Reports ratings

I give not much credence to CR based on that information. I thought the 2010 FFH I had was most reliable. I had only one issue with it, thanks to a spider who made a home in a MAP sensor. Aside from a squeaky wiper bushing, the 13 has been very reliable the past 18800 miles.

Then again how many actual owners filled out the survey and how many dont own a fusion but bash it.

Since they appear to have grouped the Hybrid in with the non hybrid, its misinformation, and a dont buy this hurts the perfectly fine line of the FFH. Yes a few of the early models were flawed, but if you look at the majority of posts, by Job2 they had ironed out a lot of the problems of the FFH, and it is a very good car.

IOW, if it was such a bad car to say what they say, you would think this site would be flooded with people having problems, and other than a select few, me included with the first one, the majority of the people have been trouble free, especially after the update and learning curve was over. There are always growing pains with first model year cars, and Ford worked quickly to address some issues, like the driveshaft clunk, and MFT. The way CR rated them is unfair to the FFH. It will push prospective buyers who are leery of Ford to start with away from a really nice car.

This is my first Ford (and my parents never owned one in my lifetime) so I don't have any history of brand loyalty to them. I picked the FFH after several months of research and so far my experience has borne out that research. It sounds like some Ford models (like your Focus) have had issues lately and that's fair game for Consumer Reports to criticize that.

I don't know if I speak for others, but I think the objection that some of us have to Consumer Reports' criticism is that both our own experiences with the FFH and their own numbers (reported by tr7driver in the original post) seem to suggest that the FFH is a good car, yet they come out with an overall conclusion that seems to suggest it is not. If this is the result of combining reliable vehicles (FFH) with unreliable vehicles (FF Ecoboost), then I just wonder how useful such combined data are. Nobody buys or owns a brand of car - they buy a specific model. If it's based on MFT, that's probably unfairly punitive.

This type of feedback probably works for motivating Ford to step up their game on those cars and features that are bringing their brand/model reliability down, but I don't think it's the right way to present the data for an individual consumer making a car buying decision.

I would hope that we could be helpful to people coming here, even frustrated owners, and we generally are. Some of what you're seeing may be a reaction with what we see as exaggerated or misleading criticisms. So much of the press surrounding cars seems to based on perceptions only loosely related to reality.

Just to be clear. The data I posted from their website specifies this rating for the SE Hybrid 4-cyl CVT Fusion.

They post different ratings for the 4 cyl Titanium (It is recommended and they gave every trouble spot top ratings) and the SE 4 Cyl (where they post the trouble spot data for all areas as N/A).

They gave the 4 cyl Titanium an overall score of 78 while giving the hybrid an overall score of 85 and the SE 4 cyl 82 (out of 100).

I have been a CU subscriber since the late 1970's, and I usually take their word and guidance into consideration. Overall, I fell it has helped me. Unfortunately that led me to buy a 03 Honda Accord V6 with transmission problems and a 02 CRV with A/C compressor issues that are well documented on the Honda forums. CU only now happens to mention these issues.

I not saying they are bashing Ford, I just saying I don't get it. I'm not sure the folks that did the write-up for the recent magazine were aware of the ratings information they post on their website.

I begin to take it personally as this will somewhat diminish the value of my car in trade appeal and cash price.

Well Said from both. This is also how I feel.

boo

I had a 1972 Vega Coupe, good little car for what it was(once the block was sleeved).

I had a friend that owned a repair shop who used to put small block Chevy motors in Vegas. I drove one for about a year, when I could pry it out of my wife's hands. What a blast to drive. The only clues were the car was raised slightly, bigger tires, dual exhausts out the back and of course the rumble at idle.

Not to veer too much off topic...

Too Late :)

One afternoon when I was 19, my friend and I was sitting in a sammich shop at Fullerton and Pulaski, just doing what teens do, talk about cars, and this Vega pulls up to the light, it was rumblin, we knew they dropped a small block in it, and a Toyota pulled up next to it. It revved, the Vega revved. THe light turned green, the Toyota leaped away from the light while the Vega roared, then the back window blew out, and the car went no where. When they built the car, they didn't bother to add frame rails to handle the torque of the V8 and twisted the car when they launched. We were on the FLOOR laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes. The shop owner was wondering what we were laughing so hard about, and all we could do was point out the window, he took one look and bust out laughing too.

Here's the most ironic part, the shop owner used to be a dragster racer, racing top fuel rails. He knew instantly what had happened without even have to ask.

Edited by acdii