Sign in to follow this  
MaxHybrid

Steering Wheel

I want to replace my standard steering wheel with the Ti Leather wheel. The steering wheel itself is not expensive.

My question is how do I remove the airbag and which fuse controls the airbag?

I want to remove the airbag fuse so as not to have to completely disconnect the battery.

On the 2012 and below Fusions, there are holes behind the steering wheel to insert an allen wrench to disengage the springs.

I do not see any holes on my 2014 unless I have to remove the upper and lower covers directly behind the steering wheel first.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Max

There's a little hole on the bottom of the wheel that you stick a flat-headed screw driver in, then you can pull the airbag out from the bottom and then up.

The shop manual says you should first pull fuse #35 from the BCM (under the IP), then disconnect the battery. I really don't recommend doing this job without disconnecting the battery.

Also keep in mind if the new wheel doesn't have exactly the same button layout as your old one, you will need to have the system reconfigured, or else the buttons can behave very weird.

Thanks, can I remove the buttons and various controls from my current steering wheel and add them to the leather version? The picture of the leather version shows it without any buttons or controls. Thanks again for the information.

Max

I installed a leather steering wheel today.

I tried to add the directions here but it will not allow me to paste them.

If interested, PM me and I will share.

Max