Sign in to follow this  
gemdc

What does "build date" really mean?

A build date of 07/09/13 from the ETIS web site is September 07, 2013. ETIS is a european web site and the date format in Europe is dd/mm/yyyy.

And that date on the wiring harnesses of 8/23 was probably when they were made and the place they were manufactured, and two weeks later they were used to build your car.

A similar thing occurred on my 2010 FFH, where the top of each headlight assembly had a dated tag on top, which in that case was 6/10/09 and 6/13/09 and the car was built on 6/15/09.

On my 2013 FFH I got a cyberdman update on 12/10/12 of "in production - trim line" and then the build was finished and build date established of 12/11/12.

In most cases (at least with those who have reported here and the window stickers that many here have retrieved), the window sticker generation date is about 7 days before the build date, give it take a day or two.

As for how long it takes to build, the below video of the F-150 plant in Dearborn has the host (the goofy guy Leo) ask the plant manager how long it takes to build an F-150 and he answers 18 hours... so I would imagine that a Fusion would be roughly the same unless it takes quite a bit longer/shorter in time when considering a sedan vs a pickup.

It might only take 18 hours down the line, but if it fails a end-of-line test or inspection it gets sent over for repair and that can take anywhere from an hour to 2 weeks.

I can attest to that, as my status on Dec 10th was "trim line" then build date shows as Dec 11th, but then when I asked for an update the following week the status was "Re-released Dec 15th" and when I got the car the fuse box cover was not secured and the plastic trim piece to the lower right of the steering wheel was still pulled out a couple inches (was missed during PDI I guess, was easy to pop back in) - making me think that it was built and found to have some eletcrical issue that was diagnosed and fixed (and the dudes quickly moved to the next car without popping things back in place?) before it left the plant -- never had any electrical issues at all so whatever glitch it may have been, it got fixed.

I'm curious as to how long it takes for the paint to cure before they assemble the car. Factory finishes are pretty damn hard when compared to aftermarket paint jobs. It took a few months before the paint was hard enough to get a decent polish on it when I repainted the Grand Marquis, and that was in a heated spray booth and baked.

I found another video on YouTube for the Megafactories video showing the F-150 assembly line in Dearborn, about 45 minutes long. And I'm pretty sure they said the F-150s take about 12 hours to build, including paint time. I would have to watch the video again, but I didn't see the paint being baked at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khbb1vBz_U0

I would love to take a tour of a Ford plant. I live near the Chrysler plant but its Chrysler, and I have no interest in how they are slapped or glued together.