madmax87

2013 Fusion Hybrid Transmission Leaking

The manuals are pretty good, so any experienced mechanic who knows how to read the manual, and has the proper tools should have no problem taking it apart and resealing it. Rebuilding it though would be a different case, I would much rather they replace it with one from the assembly line, than rebuild it with new and worn parts.

Why would they rebuild it with worn parts? ;)

I used to rebuild transmissions. Not all hard parts are replaced, so there are still some worn parts in it. Clutch plates, gearsets, one way rollers, if they are within specs, they are put back in. While the eCVT may not have that many parts in it, for a car still under factory warranty that has to have its transmission rebuilt, I would prefer all the parts be replaced, not just the damaged or unusually worn ones.

You completely missed the sarcasm! :)

DOH, guess I didn't drink enough yet.

Coffee that is, too early in the morning for the good stuff.

This is two cars in three months with the same issue which is a small fraction of the fleet. There should be NONE. Cars seldom leak anymore and sealing design is well uhderstood. Removing the tramsmission to repair a case seal is a big job and I'll bet no dealer has done it on a hybrid. If I was Ford, I'd put a new transmission in and look at the old one to find the defect so they could stop the costly warranty problem.

If the silicone seal works, it's certainly preferable to taking the transmission out and taking it apart even under warranty. Just keep an eye on it and check for any spots under the car. It's not an automatic transmission fluid, it's just a gearbox oil and losing a few ounces probably wouldn't damage anything.