Jay Dee

New Hybrid!

So with CR reasoning, avoid buying a first year model car! Wait until there are reliability records for that model before buying one so you dont have to waste your money on a warranty for a first year model car.

Sorry but I dont care much for CR. For a car as advanced as it is, any little thing that can break will be expensive to repair. Getting a good deal on a warranty is that little peace of mind that is well worth the cost for after the factory warranty runs out, especially if you are a high mile driver like me, and a few others here.

A better solution is to shop around and pay for it up front, and then you have that peace of mind that its designed for. Also shop around and compare different warranty plans to see who has the best coverage, and is recognized by all dealers and also third party shops.

Prior to purchasing the FFH I researched a number of hybrids. My wife and I drove and received pricing on the 'top three'. The FFH was the winner hands down in our minds.

What I didn't research was the dealer tactics that occurred in the finance mgrs. office. After being pressured into buying the ESP and extended warranty I started researching the pros and cons. I have since cancelled both and am waiting for the refund. My follow up revealed that the dealer sets the price and they are all over the board and as much as the finance guy thinks he can wring out of the deal. I responded to my Ford survey and the dealer called and was only upset that I had sent in a bad review to Ford.

This is not limited to Ford, that's for sure. When I bought my Prius I got the pressure to buy the extended warranty but had been on priusonline.com regularly and so was aware of dealers who would sell online much cheaper, just like with Ford. Finance manager acted like I was the biggest dumbass in the world, told me I was the first guy in his 4 years of working there that had EVER declined the purchase. So when I got the survey from Toyota I gave top marks to the salesman but 'poor' mark to the finance manager and there was place for a write-in comment so I wrote "this finance manager looked at me like I had a hairy eyeball hanging out of my head when I said I was not interested in the extended warranty and did all he could to belittle me into purchasing one, maybe you should discuss with him the importance of valuing a customer." I expect it may be made its way to the dealer, but nobody ever contacted me.