ptek

Another new HyTi owner checking in

Now for the truth and the reality. I have no idea what numbers I will get, but I know I won't get those and Ford's numbers might be comparable to those incredible EPA numbers that nobody ever gets.

"Nobody ever gets?" It takes effort and cooperative weather (which I imagine is probably the conditions in which they test), but my average over 65 fill-up was better than the EPA (however when it started getting colder the MPG nosedive began, got up to 48.9 then it backed off to 48.7 real calculation, display on dash said 50.9 so that shows the eternal optimism just like the old Prius did) https://www.fuelly.com/driver/jeffh/fusion-hybrid

I blocked the upper grille today (see post here) using the pipe insulation method and will see what effect it has. One day last week, I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic when the air temp was below zero, and the coolant temp dropped pretty quick. Traffic was moving slowly and I was in EV mode, but the engine came on every few minutes to supply cabin heat.

I have a 44 mile commute (each way). Going to work, the first 8 miles are 55 mph rural roads. Then about 4 miles of 45 mph with several traffic lights sprinkled in. Next is about 30 miles of 55 to 70 mph freeway. Finally about 2 miles of 40 mph city streets with 3 traffic lights. With that much high speed driving, the car generally warms up and stays warm, unless I get into a traffic slowdown and the car stays in EV mode for several minutes.

With that drive, 43 MPG average summer, 39 Winter. It is very close to my drive of 34.9 miles, but no freeway. The freeway will knock it down a bit, or I would expect higher than I posted. With grill covers and remote start for a few minutes, you should be able to hit those numbers.

Now that a few of us have a year of driving these under various conditions, we are starting to get a range of what to expect when driven well. Good to see you are falling into the expected range. Getting 47 all the time would be wonderful, but very unrealistic. They still do better than a TCH.

Nice to hear that from you ... ;)

Well I always expected 38-43 from the 2013 FFH, and I am getting just that. That first one was well under what I expected out of it. When the older car got better, and rated much lower, than the newer car, something was wrong, still have no idea, or care for that matter, what was wrong with it, but its history now, and I now have what I had hoped the first one would have been, but even better. With all the miles I have driven, you get a feel for these things.

BTW I saw a DIB FFH SE yesterday, both my wife and I thought the same thing, hope that wasn't the BD, poor sap if it was.

Off Topic:

Prior to the BD I had a 2012 F150 EB, and I had complained about it not getting near its expected MPG, which I had thought to be roughly 18 MPG. It had some other problems too that were in that list of dont know, problem not found category, but were documented issues others had had reported. Ford's answer to the low MPG, run Premium fuel. Well I raised a stink about that, because it clearly states you dont need Premium fuel for the EB. Well I tried it and sure enough I got my expected MPG, but wasn't happy that I needed Premium to do it. After figuring out cost per mile differences, the Premium wasn't costing more, but actually worked out to be a few cents less per mile. I took it on a trip to Chino California and I was pleasantly surprised at the 24 MPG it got on the Interstate. For the documented issues with no fix, such as stumbling under load up a grade, and misfires, they extended the warranty to 75K.

So like I said you get a feel for these things, I expected around 18 in the F150(but at 87 not 91 O), and it delivered. I expected to hit EPA in the 2010 FFH and it did it, actually passed it during summer. I was really surprised at the 13 Flex, I expected 19, and got 21.