acdii

HowTo: Wasting fuel

There are several topics on how to get good gas mileage, and lots of threads relating in one way or another. But if you have ever listened to Jeff Foxworthy, or Bill Engval, and when they do their You might be a redneck or Here's your sign bit and said, Hey, thats me. Well here you go

If you use half your throttle to start from a red light, You might be wasting fuel.

If you stay 10 feet or less from the guy in front of you and have to cover the brake and hit the gas often, You might be wasting fuel.

If you stay on the throttle and brake at the last moment at a stop sign or red light, You might be wasting fuel.

If you exceed 65 MPH consistently, You might be wasting fuel.

If you like to be first to the red light, You might be wasting fuel.

If you MUST be ahead of everyone else, You might be wasting fuel.

If you speed up to climb a hill, You might be wasting fuel.

If you sit in a parking lot waiting for someone with the engine running with the AC on and windows up on a nice day, You might be wasting fuel.

And Finally

If you sit at the end of the driveway waiting for the school bus with the engine running when its 60* outside, instead of putting a jacket on you and your kid, You might be wasting fuel. (see this ALL the time)

Actually gaining speed while climbing a hill can be advantageous because you want to maintain the power demand should be around the 2-2.5 kW mark on the Empower screen. Anything less than that and you aren't in the optimal BSFC range of the ICE. But all the rest are great!

I think it might be 20- 25 Kw.

What I meant by that are those who slow down going down the grade, only to accelerate to maintain the speed going up. There is a road that is 45 that transitions to 35 at the bottom of the hill. I have it timed so that halfway up I am doing 35 and finish out on EV. I couldn't tell you how many people start slowing down at the top of the hill only to have to give it gas to get back up.

If you own a gen 1 Fusion Hybrid trying to play, "I'm the Alpha male so I gotta be in front of you" while on the 2 lane on-ramp against a 2.0L EcoBoost AWD Fusion, you might be wasting fuel.

Makes me wonder, which one used more fuel though... :)

If you have to slow down for someone to turn, knowing that within a mile the speed limit drops to 30, and you floor it back up to 55, you just might be wasting fuel.