acdii

Theory on fuel fills

As I was driving with the fuel gauge in the red, DTE 0 for 10 miles, and the trip showing used 10.3 gallons, it dawned on me, wait, if this is a 13 gallon tank, and 10 gallons is empty, maybe the fuel gauge isn't what we are used to. Being that nearly everything in this car is based on computer programming, it is entirely possible that so is the fuel gauge. It could be that with each and every fill, the gauge is trained for the amount of fuel used when reset, so if you use 10 gallons every tank, which is about where mine is, that is where the empty mark will be. If you drive until it is really empty and pump in 12.5 gallons over several tanks, it could very well reset the fuel gauge empty point by 2 more gallons.

We already know that MPG and fuel used are all averaged out over time, so maybe, just maybe, so is the fuel gauge. It may be using the mechanical float as reference only. If it wasn't winter time, I would carry a 2 gallon can full and experiment with it to test that theory, but not when its cold, I dont want to be fiddlin with that pour spout in the cold.

One way to test would be to completely run out of gas and then see how much you could put in the tank. If you drive to the point of running out you should be able to put in 13.5 gallons before the pump shuts off.

This is what I was referring to with carrying a full 2 gallon can with, its just too cold now to try it.

Hmm, according the the hybrid docs(MOST excellent Find too), looks like I may be correct. 100% Credit to airbusguy for this find, http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7913-general-info-for-ffh-techies/?p=70255

"Fuel consumed" is continuously calculated based on

PCM fuel pulsewidth summation as a percent of fuel tank capacity. (Fuel consumed and fuel gauge reading range
are both stored in KAM and reset after a refueling event or DTC storage.)
Edited by acdii

There is only one way to find out for sure, drive til you can drive no more then fill er back up and do it again a few more times. Just hope you are close to a station when it does run out.