Hustler

Got the software upgrade finally

I hope Ford has educated most of their dealer's so that they do all the steps involved with the update correctly. When done right, the updated FFH doesn't need a hard reset. I'm glad to hear your dealer got it right, Hustler. The update seems to adapt our FFHs to California style driving.

I dont think the hard reset and the update together is what is fixing some cars. Coincidence mostly, but the hard reset which wipes the tables clean and retraining the car to be a Hybrid is what is helping them the most. The Update is a real fix though for most cars, such as yours, congrats BTW on finally having it working well.

I would say very few dealers have someone on hand that knows as much about these cars as some of us do. The computers do learn your driving habits, and once those tables are built it takes a long time for any changes to rebuild them. On non hybrids, they learn the most efficient shift points, and how best to provide the power curves the driver wants based on their driving. The Hybrid does something similar. It takes several hundred miles for the programming to be complete.

Hybrid computers have a lot more programming to them, and it is true that you can teach it bad habits. We really dont know what goes on inside those little brain boxes, but compared to a regular car, you can muck up the works by hot rodding it from a fresh start on the computers, and it takes longer to self correct once you do. There is a lot involved in the Hybrid system that a regular doesn't have, like the regen, batteries, electric drive train, atkinson cycles, and all of it is drive by wire. The computer learns all the variables for these systems as you drive it, so if you are hard on the brakes, and dont do enough regen, it learns this is the parameter for this car, braking returns x amount of regen, if you are a hard started from lights, it learns this throttle curve too, and all these add up to a mucked up set of parameters that the car runs off of. The computer will relearn once you start driving it correctly, but takes a lot longer to do so than a hard reset does.

I never did a hard reset on the BD, but on my current one I drove it off the lot with 3 miles on it and drove it very Prius like for at least 500 miles and it has been trouble free ever since. What I thought was a hard reset by disconnecting the 12V wasn't, you have to disconnect the HVB too.

My 2010 when I first got it had 1100 miles on it driven by different people and it didn't start out getting good MPG until I had about 2500 miles more on it, then it started getting much better MPG and remained that way until I traded it.

Nope, just played a mechanic in a previous life. I have a highly technical background with cars going back to my first teardown in a 1967 Chevy C30 292 straight 6. I also have a background in computers going back to a Timex Sinclair 1600, in fact somewhere I still have a 2068 Color Computer in the box. Back in the early 90's I blueprinted a Ford 302/5.0 in our old 1979 LTD wagon, and drove that car into the ground with 300k on the motor alone. I played with various cam setups, and timing setups, but always with a 2 barrel Motorcraft carb. I also drove an 18 wheeler for a few years, and can say I have at least 1 Million miles of driving under my belt(so thats where that came from). I also worked a lot with electrical systems and Turret Punch Press programming and maintenance, anyone remember bubble memory? How about punch tape for transferring programs. Back in the 80's I built a machine that could fold sheet metal screens to make into filters that were used at Ohare United terminal. It used a series of switches and timed relays along with a braking system that would rotate the table 190* and stop so a worker could insert a rod, then would rotate back 190* and stop again so another rod could be inserted. The time relay was so that the motor could slow down towards the end of travel so it wouldn't slam into the locks, then the system would go into a fail safe position and would not move until the resume button was pressed. So after the rod was inserted, they would press the go button and it would do its thing. The controller also timed the spooler so there was always tension on the screen. During this time I also worked on building RF Induction heaters, and got a lot of time on a Lathe and Bridegport. Looking back, I learned a lot of different skills.

For several years in the 90's I was lead mechanic at a shop in Mchenry doing everything from changing a tire to complete engine and tranny teardowns and rebuilds, along with alignments, suspension and brakes, and had ASE in several areas. This was during the transition phases to OBDII, so I have equipment still from the first gen computer systems and a breakout box for all Fords up to 1995. Its interesting to see the bus between the engine harness and computer where you can tap into every component and measure the voltages going through the systems. When I got my 1999 F350 Powerstroke Diesel, I had a whole new learning curve where I learned about the computers training themselves and how the various sensors told other sensors what they can and can't do and when the transmission can shift and when it has to stay out of OD. I also learned what Shift Flare is and something I would not want to ever have again, especially with 600 HP at the flywheel. This is where I learned about the tables in the computer and how the parameters can be tweaked to adjust for fuel flow, pressures, timing, and all that good stuff that makes power and also increases fuel efficiency.

I got my first hybrid on 2007 with a Prius and thats where I learned all about these cars. My current HyTi is my 5th Hybrid. You learn something new everyday on these cars. Driving these for so many years and putting a ton of miles on is how I discovered the training trick that others have also discovered. If I wanted to I could muck up my cars computer in less than a tank and it will take several tanks of good driving to get it back to where it was. It learns how you drive and tries to best compensate for your driving habits and deliver what you ask for while also trying to maximize fuel efficiency, but bad habits can break it, so a clean start and driving conservatively for the first 1000 miles can train the systems to perform at peak and deliver best fuel efficiency. It was in my 2010 FFH that I discovered this, when I went a week driving like a nut, racing from red lights, braking at the last minute, and just driving like an idiot, and my MPG dropped like a rock, and it took two weeks to recover from that, although the car had more pep during that time too. :)

I would love to teardown these systems and see how each and every one works to get a better understanding. Its like an automatic transmission, when you see a diagram of it, you think, how the heck does that work, then when you actually start to disassemble it, and see how each part functions with the next, then it makes complete sense. Even better would be to see it in realtime on a computer as each part delivers its power to the wheels. I have a program from the early OBDII days that I could run with a conversion box that connected the OBDII port to a serial port on the laptop and you could see everything on the computer in real time. Shift points, fuel flows, ignition timing, sensor inputs, rpms of various components, coolant, intake and EG temps.

My first engine was so simple, fuel to the carb, needles to adjust mixtures, points and dwell for the spark, and a timing light to adjust the timing. You could tune an engine by ear, and they ran great, for a while, until the points wore down, or the temperature dropped, then you had a crappy running engine and had to retune, today computers do it all without any intervention.

Edited by acdii

IMO it has been working very well!

I think when acdii's posts something it's made from a lot of life experience seasoned with some good common sense.

Yep, pretty much sums it up. A lot is based on theory from previous experiences. Some of it is from personal factual experiences and observations. Some is pure speculation. I have a logical mind too, which tends to look at point Z and try to determine how I got there. Some days I never get past B.

This year I turn a half Century old, How the hell did I get this old so fast!

See, all you OLD farts, that went right over your heads. Guess old age does make you shrink :)