hybridbear

Interesting articles about Toyota's strategy around hybrids and BEVs

Interesting to see Toyota has the same POV as i do. EV has a LONG way to go before it will be a viable solution to the majority of drivers. I also see they lump the Volt in with the Leaf, but from my understanding, the Leaf is pure EV, while the Volt is PHEV. Oops. Ford Focus is a pure EV too, but not selling well.

1 plain and simple reason...range. Only Tesla has figured out how to get a few hundred miles per charge, yet the cost of one is above and beyond those would would buy an EV. Right now the biggest market would be PHEV, if you look at quite a few members, they would like to be able to plug in their FFH, even if it only gives them a mile or 2 EV. The other factor against them is cost. If a PHEV is any indication, they cost more than a standard hybrid, yet, the returns may never payout unless you live and drive where you would gain the most benefit, provided of course you can charge the car where you live and work.

I think Toyota is playing the game well, always has been, and always will be the Hybrid leader, they are not missing the boat on this one, they Built the boat!