dalesky

Why your trip computer isn't accurate

I try to not become obsessed with getting the absolute, utmost, whatever it takes, mileage from my Fusion.

On my trip to and from Florida recently I was getting 44 MPG at 65 MPH and 39 MPG at 72 MPH.

In heavy stop and go, high heat driving locally I was getting less than that sometimes.

The total average mileage using the cars computer was 41.5.

Two weeks, many miles, driving as normally as possible.

That to me is hybrid territory, especially given the size, weight, comfort, road handling and load capacity.

I saw a lot of out of state plates on "P" hybrids, and not once did I think that my Fusion was not more desirable, or much more attractive.

Mileage is just part of the equation in my satisfaction quotient.

I am not making a comment here about anyone else, just saying that for me, I am highly satisfied, and glad I bought this car.

I also love this forum, and am glad it is so open, polite and informative.

When I got the 13 FFH, I was expecting, based on the current 10 FFH I had, to be getting anywhere from 38-43 MPG in the new one. Well the first one pretty much everyone here knows how well that went, but I can say with pride that the HyTi is doing EXACTLY what I expected out of it. Even when I dont play the "game" I still get 43 or so out of it(like this morning).

As long as the car is within 5 MPG of its rating, I am happy with it. The 2010 was always in that range, and this new one show good promise as doing the same.

The Gen 1 FFH computed mileage is 4% too high but the odometer is 2% too low like in the Gen 2 for a net of 2% too high or about 1 mpg. That's pretty close but since they're all the same you know they could make it exact if they were reguired to. The Prii are much worse.

In theory? or do you have documentation that says that. I ask because I have been unable to find absolute documentation of that or verification of that from the dealership. I think this is a huge issue and I would love to find some definitive info ..... :)

This one was easy to prove out. The trip summary when shutting down and starting up after 10 minutes of remote start are identical. I also went 1 week without remote start and one week with it and found an almost 2 gallon difference.