jediboytj

New 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Owner!

Welcome to the Forum, any Ford owner is welcome here, as long as its a hybrid!

The hybrid systems between the 10-12 FFH and Z are identical. the car does weigh a little more, but it will still get good MPG. I had a 2010 Sport with the 3.5 V6, and I know what you mean about sucking gas, thats the only reason I reluctantly traded it for a 10 FFH, we loved driving that car, but it was costing a fortune to drive.

On the 2010-12, the trick is to get up to speed and feather the pedal lightly to maintain speed. Unlike the 13 Hybrid, you dont want to use EV to accelerate with too often, but use it as assist, then when at your speed 45 and below, feather the gas until it kicks into EV, and coast on electric until the ICE kicks on, then let it recharge and do it again. Accelerate lightly, but dont granny it, it actually will use more gas if you granny it, I dont remember the left side display, but I would usually accelerate at about 1/3rd throttle and let off when I reached the speed limit, then feather it at that point.

At highway speeds, feather the throttle while maintaining speed works really well, the 2.5 is a great highway engine. I always did much better highway than city in the 10. The key to that system, provided it uses the same screens is the instant screen, you can use that screen and try to keep the instant MPG at or above 40 while in ICE. With practice you will get the hang of it, and it will become second nature and you wont be using the screen much after that other than a brief check.

The regen in the 10-12 is a lot different than in a 13, it doesn't rely on braking as much as the new ones do, but its still a good idea to brake sooner and lighter than in a regular car. Also dont be concerned if your battery only shows a half charge, that is perfectly normal.

What you can expect is roughly 40-43 in summer and 36-39 winter depending on your drive. Thats right where mine fell with 40 mile trips each way up and over hills on rural roads of 55 MPH with some city mixed in. That car actually did better on my daily drive than the new one does mainly because the 2.5 was more efficient at highway speeds than the 2.0 is. They still use the normal 2.5 ICE in the Fusion and those are getting 30's on the highway.

Edited by acdii

Interesting. It was the opposite for us in our 2010. The best we could ever do on the highway (minimal traffic) was 34-35. Around town, and in stop and go, bumper to bumper Chicago highway driving, we'd get around 40.

Dave

This was in the 2010 going from Elgin to far south suburbs off 294. Kept it at 65 for most of the trip. I have a few other shorter trips, all well above 41 MPG, which is the city rating for the 10-12 FFH.

563189_510085279033611_986596045_n.jpg