MaineFusion

How did battery hard reset affect your MPG?

How did the hard reset affect your MPG?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Did you try the battery hard reset on your FFH (where you disconnect the HVB and 12v battery)?

• Yes
    • No - plan to try it.
    • No - don't plan to tryi it.
  2. 2. If you were averaging less than 40mpg, how did the hard reset affect your MPG?

• Didn't notice a difference.
    • MPG improved
    • MPG got worse.
    • N/A
  3. 3. If you were averaging 40 - 45 mpg how did the hard reset affect yoru MPG?

• Didn't notice a difference
    • MPG improved
    • MPG got worse.
    • N/A
  4. 4. If you were averaging over 46 MPG how did the hard reset affect your MPG?

• Didn't notice a difference.
    • MPG improved.
    • MPG got worse.
    • N/A

I thought I'd start a poll to help track how the hard reset (where you disconnect the HVB and 12v battery for 10min) affects folks MPG. Please wait for at least one tank of gas after trying a hard reset before reporting results.

Edited by MaineFusion

I voted saying I don't plan to try it! I'm happy with our MPG now.

Ya, I don't plan to try it either, why screw up a good thing. :shift:

I did think, however, the poll might be helpful for others.

I previously reported in another forum that I was experiencing reduced MPG’s after the Dealer re-programmed the Powertrain Control Module Calibration (Recall 13B07). Before I opt to do the Battery ‘Hard Reset’, what stored memory functions will I loose, if any?

Eleven votes so far. Five from people who have tried the hard reset on FFHs with MPG less than 40. This is hardly a good sample size, but it does seem from the initial responses that the hard reset results are promising.

Has anyone else tried the hard reset?

Short recap, my FFH used to average 38 mpg's, got the PCM update and dropped to <31.

I did the 100% SOC HVB Hard Reset last Thursday and Zero'd out my Average Mileage.

Saturday we took off on a trip.

Yesterday and today we climbed up to California's high Mojave Desert to 5,000', spent the night.

Today we went over the High Sierra mountain range enroute Lake Tahoe, a very mountainous route, we crested many 7,000' & 8,000' summits.

Ambient temp 65-99F, AC on at 72, Eco-cruise at speed limit, never over 70mph - total miles driven 700+.

My present fuel mpg's are at 37.6 and seem to be going up as the miles pile on after the Zeroing out on Thursday.

This trip has another 1,000 miles to go, the final result will be interesting.

What psi are you running on your tires?

44 is pretty smooth too. These low profile tires dont really ride soft to begin with, so a few pounds is hardly noticeable. I 100% prefer a little roughness when it increases handling over the softer high profile tires on the 10 FFH we had.

Yes, I'm quoting myself :).... Kind of an accident.

I personally would never run 42. The center of the tire will wear more than the outsides, and it will ride like a truck.

My $.02

Dave

You are thinking of the old bias ply tires. Steel belted radials sit flat across the road at most pressures. I have been running 44 psi on all my cars for several years with no abnormal wear. Thare is not much difference in the ride either. Just better mpg!

I just checked my door label and it says 35psi for my FFH SE. I'm running maybe 1/2 PSI over that. I wouldn't be against going one or two PSI above that, but I'm not sure I'd push any higher than that unless I knew it wouldn't cause excess tire wear.

Tires are rated at 50 PSI, the door sticker is recommended not for tire wear, or anything else, but for comfort. With the alignment being within specs, the tire wear will be even with the pressures up to the limit. Above the rated limit you will get wear in the middle, and the ride will be very harsh.

The 2010 FFH I had the tires were at 45 for the 40someK miles I put on them and they all wore evenly. On the 13 I can feel a big difference between 35 and 45 PSI, it tends to roll more on curves and turns, and feels floaty at 35, but at 45 it hugs the road, feels firm and tight, just the way I like it. In the winter I will drop the pressure to 35, better snow traction.

Always folllow the auto makers recommended pressure? Just like the 26 psi Ford recommended for the Explorer. Low pressure likely led to overheating and the resulting tire separation that caused many rollovers and deaths.

"...Ford's decision to increase the stability of the Explorer by lowering the tire pressure (26 psi) soon had unintended consequences. The mushier tires held the road better but worsened fuel economy. When Ford asked Firestone to fix the problem, Firestone reduced the weight of the tire about 3%..."

I have over 100,000 miles experience running my cars at 44 psi with zero problems. My experience with higher psi showed an increase in mpg of 1.5 for a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2 mpg for a Nissan Maxima, and 4 mpg for a Honda Civic Hybrid.

I would not recommend 44 psi for hotrodders, but most who are driving a FFH are conservative drivers seeking higher mpg.