Charrua

FFH MPG vs Fuelly MPG - which one is wrong?

I have had the same experience and I too have been wondering how accurate the flow sensor is?

I would say that Fuelly is typically 5% or so less than what the display says. I thought that

the gas station might be ripping me off, but using different stations for all of us sort of rules

this out.

My lifetime says 42.4 and Fuelly at 41.3 or so. But per tank, it's more like 5% overall

difference. Fuelly says 42.3 and car says 44.7 last tank. There's the 5%. Fairly

consistent for me.

I think I stop filling after the second auto-shutoff, and not sure what the recommended practice

should be.

It may just be that the fuel-flow measurement has a +-5% margin of accuracy.

The car is averaging fuel use, not really knowing how much fuel is actually used. It looks at all parameters of ICE operation, speed, distance traveled, and gives a calculation of estimated fuel used based on that. I highly doubt it uses a flow meter, it would have to have one on the return line and a volume meter to know how much fuel was delivered vs being returned to the tank. (providing the FFH uses a closed loop return system and not a dead end one.

Considering that the speedometer isnt accurate, that alone will throw everything else off. A 2-3 MPH variance can make a big difference. Trust but verify, thats what I use Fuelly for. The readout in my Flex is much more accurate than in the Fusion, but I attribute that to the fact its 100% ICE. Every one of my Hybrids was off at least 5% or more actual vs dash. The ICE only cars though are usually within .5 MPG.

Mine is normally about 2 MPG more on the display than it is with actual calculation, and I keep a spreadsheet that matches the fuelly entries.

Lifetime on the display is currently 50.2 over 22k miles, lifetime on fuelly/spreadsheet (aka the 'actual') is 48.3.

ON mine the lifetime, which reset when I first drove off the lot is at 44.2, Fuelly is 42.8

My Flex though, same thing, reset when I pulled off the lot is at 20.9, Fuelly 20.5.

Most interstates have mile markers, or used to, that I would verify the odometer to, but since I haven't done so in the new Fusion, I don't know just how out of sync it is. I do know based on GPS it is off by 2 MPH @ 65 MPH