Aquineas

A hypothesis: 75mph is the highway mpg sweet spot

hpcs.gif

This shows the impact of speed on fuel economy. At 60 MPH the car will cycle in and out of EV mode, using the generator to load up the ICE to its peak efficiency when running. Above 62 MPH the hp needed to overcome the wind likely made it rare for it to be more efficient to run with the ICE off. At 70 MPH the wind resistance alone is plenty load for the ICE to be operating in its most efficient range. Above 70 MPH and the ICE starts running inefficiently because the load is too high. See this post for more info on what I'm talking about.

A perfect example of this is my ability to consistently do over 60mpg (typically around 63mpg) when driving country roads between 35-45 mph. This past weekend I intentionally puttered around country roads between Saco and Portland Maine to pad extra MPG on in an effort to break the 600mi in one tank barrier. Plus it was a nice day and I really badly wanted to go for a drive.

In the course of 100.1 mi with plenty of stops (e.g. engine cooling down), I averaged 61.8mpg and was in EV mode over 70% of the time. When I'm doing normal highway driving I'm lucky to be in EV mode 50% of the time, because when I am in EV mode at highway speeds it requires more electricity to keep the car up to speed.

gallery_12057_318_24229.jpg

I am lucky to get 35 mpg at a steady 75 mph. NOT a sweet spot for MPG ! :shift:

Edited by SteveB_TX

I am lucky to get 35 mpg at a steady 75 mph. NOT a sweet spot for MPG ! :shift:

Im about to do a damp road run at 75mph. If you dont see another reply from me tonight post a reply to remind me.

Going to middendorfs with the family.

Here is a screenshot of a basic (the only kind I make) spreadsheet to compare the averages at different speeds. I emailed this to acdii and hybridbear almost a year ago for their review, just never posted it as I thought it might be confusing or lead to claims that it is BS... note the large term 'HYPOTHETICAL' in there and not meant as an authoritative source of real-world results, was really just intended to generate some conversation on which average speed would get the better MPG -- to me I think the slower speed would yield the slightly better MPG, however there are others who say no way José... and this was also made when the top EV speed was 62 (before 13B07 update) so maybe the numbers should be shifted more apart to show more of a difference. So this is just a basic chart for illustration of the differences over different terrain and how that would average out... and yes I know using zero gas is more than 120 MPG but was trying to keep the range of the graph reader-friendly. So here it is, don't know if it will help with discussion in this thread or not, but what the heck.

Hybrid_Speed_Compare_zps50a68b59.jpg

How about a post update mpg? :)

Well, I havent done any long trips, but I have done a few short ones, and it does get better at 80 now, but no long term facts to prove it. Just going by the instant readout, Its around 40 at 80 now with a full SOC.

BTW some cars do have a sweet spot. I had a Crown Vic that was 68 MPH and got 28 MPG, 4 MPG higher than when going 55. Some ICE have an RPM range where it is the most efficient, and depending on gearing, will place it at a set speed to get the best fuel economy. Since the Hybrid isnt geared, finding the ICE sweet spot is much more difficult and based solely on SOC. The higher the SOC, the less energy required by the ICE to propel since it doesn't need to also charge. So finding the speed at which little EV is used and the ICE runs the most efficient is key.

OMG I have a headache! I know what I am going to do... I am going to drive and enjoy my Z and not worry about squeezing the last drop of gasoline out my tank. :shift: Whew! I feel much better now.

Okay, :backtotopic:

53 MPH for the ICE. When SOC is at or above 80%, and cruising on ICE @ 53, you can expect to see the instant hovering around the 50 MPG mark. What the overall SS is, dont know, dont really care, the car is getting what it gets for the daily drive I have. Might not be spectacular as some others get, but knowing how my other cars did, this one is doing better on the same trip, and thats all that matters. For trips that are on flatter roads, and have speeds around 45 MPH for the most part, easily in the high 40's low 50's. There is nothing wrong with this car.