MaineFusion

Consumer Reports covers the PCM software update

If CR were to implement your suggestion and reported 47 (or higher) MPG while testing the FFH I wonder what the reaction would be from CR's readers for which the vast majority will never achieve those results from their FFHs? This forum is full of threads and discussions from FFH owners who are trying all kinds of tricks and techniques to achieve better MPG but are falling far short of the EPA numbers. I suspect CR would lose trust and credibility with their readers if they were to implement your suggestions and it would also result in the same kind of controversy as the FFH's EPA ratings have created.

Maybe I am not interpreting your posts as you intended, but it seems like you are suggesting there are only two kinds of driving styles. The first being the "Drive it like you stole it" crowd which you stated is how you see most people driving. The second being the "pulse and glide" crowd as folks here drive (I assume you mean this forum's members). I don't believe the majority of drivers fall into either one of those camps. In my experiences the majority of drivers practice driving styles that fall somewhere halfway between those two extremes and I consider myself one of them.

I suspect most people do not have the time nor the desire to learn/apply all of the extreme (perhaps advanced is a better term) hybrid driving techniques and tricks. There is nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with hybrid enthusiasts that want to learn and apply every hypermiling technique. I'm planning to purchase a 2015 FFH but I intend to drive it in a mostly conventional style that I suspect will improve over time with the coaching software. I hope to enjoy this car's comfort and excellent MPG but I do not intend to obsess about applying every technique and trick to achieve the highest possible MPG. For me, the pleasure of driving a fine car such as the Fusion would be lost if I were to obsess over the MPG.

I hope I am not making any enemies here as I enjoy this forum and reading all of these interesting posts.

What I meant by the two styles is you take one car, have the DILYSI drive it, record the MPG, then have the hybrid driver drive it, and record the results, then average the two. Now you would be much closer to the real world numbers that most people would fall into. Just reporting the results from the hybrid driver would be unrealistic for most drivers, as are the reports they do now. It would be more of a fair approach to reporting on how well the car does. How well does the car do with an average driver, it does this, how well can it do if driven like a Hybrid, it does this. If a Hybrid driver can only get 40 MPG, now you have a legit case to give poor marks.

They lost my faith a while back when their reports on the reliability were based mainly on the MFT and peoples inability to use it. That is an unrealistic approach on vehicle dependability. Engine failures, transmission failures, Windows that fall down and dont go back up, and things that break are reliability statistics I look for, not for whether or not the touchscreen is difficult to understand. Thankfully Ford has worked out most of the bugs in the latest version, have not had any problems in either car with the 3.6.2 update.

Edited by acdii