MaineFusion

Consumer Reports covers the PCM software update

Maybe CR needs to see real world numbers from those of us who know how to drive these cars instead of the ones they got by not knowing the car. There are a ton of variables that affect MPG in these cars, Terrain, temps, traffic. My car only shows 42.6 actual, but I get EPA more often then not, just depends on where I go.

Besides, takes a special kind of stupid to race to a red light.

I STILL have no faith in their reporting. Chances are they test drive them like they drive any other non hybrid car. If so, yeah, they will see what they see. A good majority of us now know what the Fusion is capable of and we know its tricks to get them too.

If thats the case, then they should perform two test drives, one the average gas waster drives, and one that an average Hybrid driver drives. Then post both results, would be a more fair comparison.

Drive like normal get 39 MPG, drive it like it was intended to be driven, get 46. Imagine what they would see with the Prius if they did that. Although I dont like the Prius, hated driving it, it does an exceptional job at using as little fuel as possible. I have a respectful hate of that car. :)

Drive it like you stole it(DILYSI), which is how I see most people drive, and pulse and glide like we here do. If you perform both tests on both types you will get two different results on each. I P&G my Flex and see well above EPA, and I DILYSI the Fusion and see what CR does. When I just cruise in both, I get right in the middle. I mostly just cruise now. No jack rabbits, no hard braking, just get up to the speed limit and relax, and in both I see right in the middle of what I expect both to get.

When you drive the same route 5 days a week for 13 years, you kind of get an idea of what your car will get under various conditions. When I got the first 13 FFH, I expected between 38 and 43 MPG based on my drive and the 2010 FFH. Thats what I got in the 10, so it seemed reasonable to see the same in the 13, and when I didn't I got rowdy. Now that I have a normally functioning one, I am getting exactly what I expect, 38-43. My Flex however has surprised me, I expected 18-19 based on my 2010 Flex, and this one is getting me 19 winter, and 21 summer.

It is all in how you drive it, and if you drive it to perform, and not drive it to conserve, then you get results like CR and other magazine testers get.

The FFH simply seems to reward careful driving more than most cars (even most hybrids). I think all of the critical reports about the FFH falling short of it's EPA mileage miss this fact and are unfair to the FFH.

Exactly! All the hybrids reward you with careful driving, the Fusion just happens to slap you down if you don't! The Fusion is also a new breed of hybrid, no other Hybrid works like it does, and we here on this forum have it figured out, but CR drivers most likely would not even bother to even attempt to figure it out. Maybe they need to hire a Hybrid driver for their tests now that there are more models out.