Geremy13

Turn Your Hybrid into an Energi (Plug In)

The Energi HVB is a LOT larger. I think MG2 is the same, they wouldn't make two different ones. The Ford MG2s have always been big and powerfull. The power of the HVB is the limiting factor. Ford might someday convert them but it is not a task for anyone else. Charging your FFH would only get you a couple of miles at best.

I owned a 2010 FFH until ealier this year when I traded it in for a 2013 FFE. I experienced the same issue of very low milage on short trip. I usually would take about 1 mile for the car to go into EV, and my usual trip was about 1.6 miles each way. So by the time the engine was hot enogh I would be arriving at my destinatuion and by the time I got in the car to home the car would be cold again and the process would repeat. My milage was in the high 20's low 30's for those trips. I could get high 30's low 40's on longer trips.

Now with the Energi all those short trips are 100% EV. I only use gas during the weekends on longer trips. I'm still on my second tank of gas after 2800 miles.

Regards,
APM

They do get better mileage in the city, much better than conventional gas powered cars.

This is absolutely true. Before the 2010 Fusion Hybrid, I owned a GMC Envoy. I used to get 10 or 11 miles to the gallon doing the same type of driving. When I bought the 2010 FFH I was extremely happy I was getting high 20's instead of 10 or 11.

Regards,

APM

Oh No,,,,,,,, The more I read the more I am second thinking my purchase. We thought long and hard and almost purchased the Energi..... Really wanted it for the same reason... Now, it's too late. And I have always read that Hybrids get better gas mileage in the city.

The Hybrid will definetely get better milage in the city than a regular gas car. You save gas everytime you get to a red light and the engine stops. In the 2010 Hybrid, the engine would cease to run if the car was completely stopped, even if the engine was cold. This would make the fuel economy of the hybrid better than a gas car even in very short trips even when you don't get any saving by driving EV.

By the way, had I not owned a hybrid before I probably would have gone the same route you went and bought a Hybrid this time (probably the MKZ) instead of the Energi. The main reason I bought the Energi is because I already had the experience with the hybrid on short trips and I knew it would fit my driving habits perfectly.

I was very happy with the 2010 Hybrid. It was very reliable, I went to the dealer 4 times in 3 1/2 years for oil changes and tire rotations and spent about $120 in maintenance over the period.

I have been to the dealer more than that since I bought the Energi in April for various reason but at least I haven't spend any money yet, and I won't spending any money on maintenance in the future because, as I wrote on the Energi Forum, Ford gave me the 4 year/48K miles premium maintenance plan for free to compensate me because my normal dealer did not want to do the TSB for the sagging trunk lid.

Regards,

APM

Edited by apm