hybridbear

Road trip fuel mileage

Nice summary. Welcome home. I think you are on the money about the speed vs MPG. Thats what I am seeing in mine, between 65-70 I get 45.

Traveling today Rockford IL to St Paul MN and got between 39 & 43 MPG. Made the trip on 8.75 gallons on the trip 2, and will fill tomorrow. Very pleased, further proof the other car was broke! It wasn't as bad a trip as I thought it would be.

I plan to do this. No time after we got home Sunday because I was helping my parents get acclimated to their Energi. I will start another thread about spark plugs because I also haven't taken the cover off to see how to get to them yet either and am looking for what others have found of how to get to them.

What speeds were you going?

Kept it at 68 for the majority of the trip up, trip back experimented with 75-80. then kept it under 65 for the last 2/3rds. 75-80+ 35.5 MPG. It was also quite winding, hitting me passenger front for most of the trip.

Fully loaded, a frontal wind and various speeds to 80mph - that's pretty good mpg's I'd say. The extra room if you'd taken the Flex was more than paid back in the FFH with it's good mpg's.

Besides, a couple months ago you had two FFH's and would have gone on this trip in one of them anyway.

Glad you avoided any large critters on the roads too. I wonder what your front radar would do if a deer was in your path.

According to my wife's back side, going to MN was OK, but anything longer will not be in the Fusion. She was sitting between the 2 kids in the back and the seat has that hump in the middle that was giving her a butt ache after 5 hours. We got the Flex back yesterday, and still getting 21-23 MPG in it, so happy there, but sad that the paint is no longer perfect. I can tell the hood and fender were repainted, just a subtle difference in the color. Under Florescent lights I can see the spray lines too. The finish is flawless, smooth, not a mark at all, but that slight color difference to me is quite noticeable, so I may be giving them a call tomorrow.

I haven't seen any 'break-in' mileage improvement either, and oh, how I wish it would.

My car has almost 11,000 miles.

Same here, at least on the new model. Getting pretty much the same as it did when it had 3 miles on it. The 2010 however I did see a jump at 11K, then again around 28K( probably just because the tires were nearly gone though).