milleron

Spoiled by EV mode

You will get so used to the ICE turning off that when you get into a normal car, you will come to a stop and wonder, "Why is the engine still running?" Oh RIGHT, that s a GOOD thing! LOL

yep, been there, actually done that!

The ICE in the 2013 FFH does not sound exactly like my 2010 FFH, but when my wife had a 2006 Escape Hybrid, the low-pitch pained grumbly groan sounds very similar to what the 2013 FFH makes now.

With all of the sound abatement for engine sound in the car .... that could be your wife ......

Nope, she drives the Energi now, nice and quiet! And even when the ICE runs on her car it seems quieter than my SE Hybrid... so I guess maybe it's me that's the grumbly groaner...

Probably the blowback on the intake side that makes it so loud. Thats what I dont like about these cars, both the 10 and 13, that annoying grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it makes.

How so? Because of the different valve timing than an Otto cycle engine?

It is quite loud when the windows are down, with the car sealed up the noise isn't bad. Especially when accelerating in the city since the RPMs tend to be higher then and since you're moving at a lower speed you don't expect that much noise

Yep, thats what Im thinking. Since the intake is open during compression for a short period, it may be what makes it sound ugly. Could always remove the air filter and see if it gets louder.

There is a difference between the noise level between the FFH and the MKZ hybrid. I thought my FFH was quiet with the windows up. The MKZ is even quieter with the windows up at all speeds. With the windows down and traveling at low speeds they are about the same. There is also a difference in the ride between the two.

The Lincoln uses different glass, and more sound deadening, which is probably why it rates lower MPG. Have you compared the GVWR between the two?

Well? I was asking to find out what the weight difference is. Curious since I know they use different materials between the cars.