revelated

Bought a 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium yesterday

• The car FEELS heavy. It's not just the battery. The entire deal feels quite heavy, almost Chrysler heavy. This may not be a negative to some but coming from cars that felt light as a feather this was a bit jarring. I'll get over it.

You noted the additional battery weight in the back, plus there's additional weight in the front for the electric motor... did you test drive the car (or similar VIN) before making the purchase?

Sure that question in connection with being a hybrid is a good one...

@ acdii I think you are the perfect guy to answer the weight feel question between 10' and 13'

The 10 feels like a boat, its sluggish on curves, and a bit floaty, similar to the TCH, which CAN make it feel lighter. The 13 feels SOLID, crisp handling, firm grip on the road, which can make it feel heavier. With that said, when comparing curb weight, the 10 is heavier than the 13.

Revelated,

When you park on a hill and engage the parking brake before putting the car in park you are preventing the car from rolling and putting that pressure on the parking brake mechanism and not on the pin that holds the car in Park. If you release the parking brake while not depressing the brake pedal the car can roll until it hits that pin which is potentially very damaging to the transmission.

I had a 79 LTD wagon that would be very hard to get out of park because of this.

Just because a car mentioned is decades old, doesnt mean it can no longer occur on a recent car. The car I mentioned also had 300K miles on its transmission, so there was some wear involved. As the car ages, and if you never used a parking brake to keep the car from rolling into the park pawl, eventually it will start to stick. Can happen on any car no matter when it was built. Less likely today, but can still happen.

Nope, not saying that, I'm saying eventually is COULD wear enough that it can stick when there is pressure against it. Just because technology has advanced, doesnt mean that the laws of physics changes! Every parking pawl I have seen whether its FWD or RWD, is a steel disk with square notches, and the pawl is a steel hammer that engages a notch. Eventually over time, that steel will wear, and IF, only saying IF, the car were parked on an incline every single day as in parked in a driveway that had a 3 foot rise, and the parking brake was never used, the car was allowed to roll back to engage that pawl in a notch, at some point there will be a groove worn into that pawl and it will start to stick. It will take years for that to happen, and it rarely does, but it can still happen.

BTW how did this get SOO far off topic? What was the topic anyways?

Good pics! See the angle set on that pawl? Thats the part I referred to when saying it wears a notch in it, and that is what can cause it to stick in park when pressure is on it. Thanks for posting the pics.