Craig

New Owner - 2 days - Any advice for hybrid highway newbie?

Something to try that I discovered with this new Hybrid. At highway speeds above the EV threshold, if you can keep the battery at or near full charge, the engine will be used to propel the car and not charge the pack. Using the instant MPG gauge, you can feather the pedal at 70 and keep it around 40 MPG. It will take practice and eventually the sweet spot will be found where you can drive it without having to keep one eye on the dash.

But, most important, as Neod said, Enjoy the car!

The Adaptive cruise is good for getting good MPG if your new to Hybrids, as you can use it in city traffic to keep pace with traffic, its where I saw the best MPG in the 13 when I had it. The EcoCruise is exceptional to the Fusion, it mimics Hybrid driving to some extent. Nothing though can compare to due diligence when it comes to getting the most out of the car though, lots a practice, lots of patience, and most of all attention to what you are doing. When I first got my Flex I used the ACC a lot and it helped for the first 500 mile break in, and now I drive it without the cruise and am doing even better. I just put my 3rd tank in and got 21.9 MPG. If it had the Eco Cruise, I am pretty sure it would be getting near 22 just using the Cruise too.

The old school cruise, if you were to turn eco cruise off, will wate gas as it will force the car to accelerate harder up hill, and when resuming from a lower speed to a higher one where Eco cruise will slowly speed up. I dont use the cruise in my 2010 though, I can always beat it manually.

Another thing using Cruise, if you are going down a grade, with an immediate uphill following, cancel cruise and gather speed to bleed off the hill, depending on the length of the next hill you could make it over the top without expending any energy.

@ fusionTX

I agree with neod192 since I do see the same result. If you go faster than 65mph it charges the HVB a bit over half full and then it stays there. At this point the ICE is no longer doing double duty which makes it very efficient even going 70mph.

The reason it doesn't reach a full charge is exactly like neod192 described it; exiting the interstate you don't wanna throw the energy away so they keep some head room which then ends in a fully charged HVB.

I am not so sure of the above, but don't really want to debate it and would rather have another person sample the behaviors -- if you have a long trip planned, I suggest you do the above and set the cruise on 65 and check MPG between stops (let's say 100 miles between breakfast and rest stop), but then on the next leg set the cruise at 62 and leave it there until the next stop (let's say 100 miles between rest stop and lunch), then come back and tell us how things went. it's not a perfect comparison since terrain and traffic will be different, but if you have a long trip then you have time to do some sampling so you can be test case.

Edited by jeff_h

I did that when I went to FL, but the results were all over the place. If I knew back then what I know now, I probably would have been able to get better MPG on the interstate doing 70. At high speeds the less battery used the better the MPG does. It will use some charge when additional HP is needed, but for the most part it will get to 75-80% and stay there when above 65 MPH, and then the ICE will stay at or above 40. The last few times I drove the car I was able to get better MPG in it by keeping the battery charge high at highway speeds.

Stupid touch pad posted before I finished.

Edited by acdii

Thats about the same thing I saw on mine. Too bad it took 8400 miles to discover it, maybe I wouldn't have been so.. nope, wouldn't have mattered, not when the other car was doing better at the same time. Food for thought though. If it were my first Hybrid, I wouldn't have been so harsh and complaining. After all, this new Fusion is an awesome driver, I find I miss driving it when I am driving my old one, especially now that I have to avoid potholes, man can I tell the difference between them. Turn the wheel on the 13, avoid pothole quickly, turn wheel in old one, someday soon I will miss that pothole, whoosh, hey it moved, slop, back over again. I really dont know how to describe it, but man what a difference. Maybe rowboat to Aerobatic plane would best describe it.

I didn't feel like I was going to get as good of milage today,but when I pulled into work and shut off the car I was surprised (and delighted) to see I achieved 54.8 MPG on my trip to work!

OMG!!!! That is just awesome. You got that doing 70 just blows my mind!

Yeah, once you have it, its hard to go back. I have it in my Flex and even though it isnt Eco Cruise enabled, it does help save gas,