tofusionornot

90% Hwy driving up to 80 MPH - to buy or not to buy?

If you are set on the Fusion, even at those speeds, you would still get better MPG than any of the non hybrid engines, with the only possible exception being the 2.5L, as it does very well on the highway, but is only in the S model(may be in SE). If you can keep the HVB at full charge, the ICE does do much better, and could even see 40 MPG if you can drive it just right. Would take tons of patience and LOTS of practice to get there, but it is doable.

One side effect of the hybrid though, it calms you down, and you may find yourself no longer driving as fast, and more important, not really caring. You would be surprised at how little time is actually lost going 5 MPH slower. Next thing you know you will be watching people racing to red lights, wasting gas and thinking to yourself, what moron races to a red light? :)

Words of wisdom, drive smarter, not faster. I could not tell you how many times I got passed by someone on the highway, only to be right along side them at the stop light. Nor the number of times I got passed by the same car on the interstate. On a trip back from PA when I drove a Prius, I was doing the posted limit and I swear I got passed 6 times by someone in a pathfinder. Twice I am sure for having to stop for gas.

Right now I'm driving a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander and getting about 360 miles per fill up. Which means I'm filling up almost every other day. What's the min/max per fill up to expect on the FFH?

Figure on 400 miles per fill when doing 70 and getting 40, using roughly 10 gallons of gas. As you get better with the car and can get more MPG out of it, it will just get higher. When you first get it and start driving, figure on getting 38, so 380 miles per fill, then as you get more familiar with the car, it can only go up from there. It has a 13 gallon tank, so figure on filling at 1/4 tank which comes out roughly 9.5 gallons.

Only thing to consider in a diesel are the additives that you need to keep them running. It used to be you would just need the diesel fuel treatment, and you still do need it, if anything to help protect the injectors from the USLD fuel, and if you live in colder climates, to prevent fuel gelling. Not sure if the VW require it, but UREA is also needed for the new exhaust systems. And no, you cant pee in the tank, it knows.

They do. They use 15W40 which is more expensive than gas oils. Filters are more expensive. and they should be changed more frequently due to the high particulates in the blowby. Most new diesels also use Urea for cleansing the particulate filters. In winter time you really should use fuel treatment to prevent gelling, and also to lubricate the fuel, the USLD fuels may be a bit low on lubricant because the process strips out the natural lubrication the sulpher provides. It is added back when its processed for delivery, but it is still risky to assume it has enough.

Or find one of the last few 2012 FFH models remaining. At 70 you can still get decent gas mileage, and it has a much larger tank. The 10 I have will get near 40 at 70 MPH. at 65 it gets over 42, and sometimes I can get 50 in it. At 80 it can still get 35+, but after driving it awhile you will probably be a right lane driver, they have that affect on you.

Here is the thing to consider, the VW track record is hit or miss, and they pretty much own the diesel sedan market. If you are lucky and get a good one, then repair bills will be nothing more than scheduled maintenance. I dont know if its still the same with the new TDI, but when you hit 90K you MUST do the scheduled maintenance, or face dire consequences of a broken motor, and its not cheap since they have to replace a few components in addition to the timing belt.

Get a bad one though, and you will spend more time at the dealer than driving it. They have gotten better, but there is still that risk. Hopefully all the information given in this thread can help with your decision.