I was watching Sunday Morning and it was mostly about financial stories, but there was one story that really got me thinking once again(OW MY HEAD, Whats that smoke I'm smelling) Want verse Need.

What is was about is, do you spend money on want items, and spend all you make, or do you spend it on needs and put the rest away.

Well now that I look at it, and gave it some thought my recent car decision was based more on WANT than NEED. I did need to reduce my monthly car payment, but did I really Need another hybrid to do it? Answer came back as no. Reason being, now when I need to get items I would normally have used the Pickup or Flex for I now have to do one of two things. Take two vehicles, which now results in burning twice as much fuel, which is equal to what I would have burned in the truck or Flex, or renting a pickup, which requires me to now drive at least 15 miles to get it, load it up, drive it home, unload it, drive it back and now drive back again, using, guess what, twice as much fuel. So much for gas savings.

So my next recent decision was to get what I truly WANT, the HyTi. But, do I truly NEED it. Again, the answer to this is No! I don't need to have a really nice car with a good sound system, that gets over 40 MPG. I already have a car that has a really good sound system that can get over 40 MPG.

Another thought that came up, in order for me to handle some of the basics that I did with the Flex, like get the horse food once a month, picking up larger items that didnt fit in the car, etc. I would need to get a small enclosed trailer, do do so I would also need to install a hitch on one of the cars, so for that, and the cost of the trailer, I now am looking to spend another $2000 or so. I would also need to install a class III on the MGM and upgrade the cooling systems, install trailer harness and brake controller, and that is about another $500. So to fix the Need, there is another $2500.

So Want vs Need. Do I Need a new HyTi? Simple answer is No. Do I Want a new HyTi, Hell Yes I do! Do I need a Utility Vehicle, answer turns out to be yes. Do I need a new one? No. So what do I Need. After much thought and talking with my wife on this, the answer unfortunately, and probably the wisest one is, We need to get another Flex, and get rid of the Fusion altogether. I know my dealer will hate me after this, but I feel I wasn't treated as fairly as I thought I was. I will just take my business elsewhere, best offer gets the deal. I really didn't Need the F150, but I did Need the Flex, and as I found out too late, getting rid of the one I had was the biggest mistake I made in the past 10 years. The biggest one of all time was buying this damned house!

Keeping the current Fusion is not going to happen, I don't trust it, plain and simple, so best to cut my losses on it now while I can seems to be the best thing I can do at this point.

I dont know which is tougher, trying to make the right decision here, or having kids. Want verses Need. Really gives food for thought. In the long run, which will be better? Fusion, or Flex? Ideally keeping the new Fusion, and trading the old for the flex would be good, however too great a loss on the old Fusion, and why get rid of a car that has been good for us so far. So I give up Adaptive Cruise, do I need it or do I want it. Answer, want, dont need. Auto highbeams, rain sensing wipers, Want or Need, again, dont need. BLIS, well that one is tough, I truly do use it, and cross traffic alert is very handy, but do I need it? No, I know how to use my mirrors and since I am primary driver, it's not a need.

However, nothing can replace the Awesome factor of the New Fusion, and that is one thing I will truly regret not having if I go the Need vs Want route. By going the Flex route, depending on what I find, I can reduce our expenses enough to offset the additional fuel costs with room left over. The downside is, no warranty, and higher mileage on the vehicle. The plus side, dont need an additional trailer, I have one that the Flex can pull, but the cars cant, so that eliminates $2500 from being spent, along with the added cost of licensing and insurance.

So, any thoughts on this? I want and need input. :)

Edited by acdii

Yeah, been searching just the right one with the features I need and the price to match. It must have Ecoboost, the NA 3.5 wont have the guts to pull my horse trailer. SO that isnt a want as much as a need. It doesn't need to be a Limited, but it seems they are whats out there. I found one just a bit ago in Kansas that is just like the one I got rid of but in Limited with the trailer tow. I sent them an email to see what they can do. I know my kids will be thrilled, they loved Cinny, which is what we called the Flex, it was Cinnamon with a white roof. My son likes the blue car, and will be grumpy cat when it goes.

Right now I have 3 prospects I am working on, one is near me, if you consider 100 miles near. I noticed the price has dropped over $1000 on it since the first time I saw it, and wondering why it is still unsold. There is another one that is about the same distance, in White that is more expensive, with lower miles, and a third one that is in Kansas that has only 25K miles on it. So there is a range of about $3000 between them the lowest having 46K on it. The Kansas one also has a 2013, but not EB nor with the tow package, but has 18K miles and is selling for under $30K. If it had the tow package I would give that one major consideration. I could add a hitch, but the wiring isnt there, and is a major undertaking to put the trailer and brake controller wiring in, I attempted it in the one I had, and had to remove all the trim panels to do it, I only got one side done, and never finished the job, so I never had a chance to try it out.

I will see what they come back with on these and see how far I have to drive. Overall I feel like this is the right way to go, I really Want that Fusion HyTi, but We really dont Need it.

In a few more years when the 2010 has come towards its retirement age, I will most likely get another one, so I think a few years of longing will eventually pay off.

Been doing more looking, found a couple MKT's too that might be doable, all boils down to what they are willing to give on the Fusion. If I can swing the MKT it will fill the gap between want and need. The only thing that I will give up then is the Hybrid and newness of the car.

Ever since I traded the Flex and F350 in on the F150 I was thinking, did I do the right thing, then when I traded the F150 for the Fusion, I thought I did the right thing, then the troubles with it began and all that went out the window, and the discovery of just how much I actually used the Flex really hit home, and then I was back to, did I do the right thing, and apparently it was not.

I will say that I will envy all who have the new Fusion, it really is a great car, and I would love to keep it instead of the 2010, but I owe too much on that one to make it possible. Besides its the wifes car, and she likes it, and has her Frog on it, so I cant take that away from her.

Hey, I didn't realize that the 3.5 liter EcoBoost engine that you can get in the Flex has 355 HP / 350 ft-lbs. I suddenly don't feel so bad for you now! :-)

LOL, yeah, but that 355HP can suck gas through a firehose when you put it to use! Believe me, I put mine through use :shift: more than a few times. If I do get one of these, first thing I will do is upgrade the brakes, they were the Achilles heel on the one I had, they would heat up quickly and fade. It wont be driven enough for gas to be of concern, I usually only drive it one day a week or if we all go out somewhere, or take a trip. If the one I have in mind works out, then the difference in monthly payments will make up for the difference in gas, and be a wash.

Still on the fence here on this, but once I hear from the feelers I put out yesterday I should have a clearer idea on what I should do.

I would like nothing more than to get rid of the horses, get rid of this hell hole of a house and get the hell out of this hell hole of a state! In a sense though the horses have become a tool, in that it is teaching responsibility to my kids, in their taking care of them and in training them to ride. Up until recently when we ran out of hay, there is a huge shortage of it now from the drought, they were costing us about $250 a month to feed, so the expenses were not too bad for them, but when we ran out of hay and haven't been able to stock up on it, the costs have about tripled, and they are putting a hurt on. We usually get by with about $700 a year in hay costs, but haven't been able to find any.

Yeah, I do see your point, they cost us about $4000 a year in upkeep. They had cost us a whole lot more when we were boarding them, more like $14,000 a year, so by having them on our own property is saving about $10K a year or more, much more when you consider traveling and gas to get to and from the stable.

Any way I look at it though, we still Need a 5 passenger vehicle, and the cars just cant cut it when the kids are still in car seats, the back seats just aren't wide enough and seat belt placement I found is crucial, I couldn't tell you how many we looked at where the middle seat belt was under the car seat, or the persons butt. I looked at the Explorer, Edge, and Escape and none of them had a back seat with enough room, the Explorer did have a 3rd row, but I did not like the vehicle, I had a 97 and hated it. The Fusion back seat is barely adequate, my wife gets wedged between the car seats and her shoulders rub against the tops of the car seats, and we have the smallest ones around.

I am trying every thing I can think of to make the Fusion work for us, but there are just too many negatives for it to be feasible. However I do appreciate your opinion and advice on this. Thanks.

Like I said, not being critical. Just trying to give a helpful observation. I only meant it as seeing through a fresh pair of eyes .... :)

Oh please dont take it wrong, I really do appreciate what you said, and it does make a lot of sense. Like I said, wish I could but they are part of the family and not owned by me alone. Oh man there are a ton of things I would like to do, but I have others to consider too.

Crikies! OK what a way to dampen ones spirits. I was offered $26K for the Fusion! WHAT?!?!?! $10K depreciation in under 4 months? EESH maybe my dealer is doing good on his offer after all!

One dealer down, still waiting on replies from others. Not going to add miles to the cars on a maybe thats for sure.

OK, 2 down, the one down south of me is a Buyback that had the engine replaced at 9K miles. They only offered 27500 for the Fusion. Pass. Not looking good, guess the HyTi is going to be the best offer yet. We shall see.

However, I just saved us $400 a year by switching to Gieco.

And that is not a joke, now if I can only find a lower insurance on our house, not many companies cover it due to the barn and zoning.

Well, looks like I will stick with my original plans of listing the car, seeing if it sells, and if not go for the deal we made with my dealer and hope for the best. If it sells then I am free and clear to get what I need. It posted today but the price got goobered, it was supposed to be 33900 and it is listing at 38900. Not sure how that happened!

This is what I had before, 3 vehicles, 3 on insurance, 3 to tag. Since I rarely used the f350 it was one less that I had to pay for to have sit. Looking back, the mistake I made was getting rid of the F350 and the Flex, and should have sold the F350 outright and kept the Flex.

However, had I done that I never would have had the chance to Enjoy how the new Fusion drives and handles on the Interstate.

I have had 2 responses so far to my Cars.com add, so there is hope that I can sell it outright. This frees me up to either, get a much better deal on the HyTi, and if that falls through then I can focus on finding just the right vehicle for us.

I was even giving consideration on finding a Diesel Excursion, small consideration, but one nonetheless.

New Pic261279_523663151009157_1077320162_n.jpg

Edited by acdii

Been a resourceful week and after cutting $400 a year on insurance, and refinancing my 2010, I now can better afford the HyTi. Since the trade offers were so very low on the 13, and chances of selling the car for a decent enough price are slim, the offer the dealer gave me on the HyTi turned out to be below Invoice with my trade, so looks like it will be the best deal. I also restructured a few other bills and have a much better balanced budget. Too bad our government cant do the same thing.