"I still don't get how we can "rubberband" the hybrid drive by charging and recharging and draining and redraining a set of batteries to get us better mileage. "

You can't that's why getting the SOC up high so the system is reluctant to go into EV may work the best below 62 mph. I don't know how you can keep it there if the system wants the SOC lower.

I'm a novice at this, but if paragraph one is correct, I hope there aren't any FFH drivers that use the technique. Being behind someone doing it would bring my road rage to a boil. We should be driving at near a steady state for safety and courtesy reasons. Getting a few more MPGs isn't worth being considered an idiot by other drivers, and it's not the image most of us want the Fusion Hybrid to have.

And here is the reason I was not so thrilled with how it was explained to me on how this car needs to be driven to get what they were getting. I never had to drive this way to get good numbers in the other 3 I owned. It is also the main reason I created that video, to show what I was shown in order to get 40 MPG for their road test in order to say, Sorry, nothing wrong. I can't drive like that, and I dont like it when others do either. I also bet none of you guys who are doing good with them drive like this, am I correct?

After some experimenting with different techniques I am able to do slightly better than I was before, and hoping with warmer weather that I can do much better. The SOC seems to be the biggest detriment to my particular car, the higher the SOC the better it gets.

It does make perfect sense, and when working correctly look what it can achieve!

That is basically how I drive too. Works well in my 2010 but for some odd reason not in "my" 13, but appears its working fine in everyone elses. Very light throttle maintain speed within a few MPH, coasting but not taking the foot completely off, but keeping it so that there is no activity on the battery. No hard accelerating but aggressive enough not to get bubba riding your back side. Once up to speed back out of it until the instant is hovering around the 40 MPG mark in the 10, EV switching in the 13. Keeping battery around 50% at highway speeds seems to work best too, might be different in others cars though, so this last part needs to be confirmed.

It actually takes 12-15 hp. to drive these midsize cars 50 mph. These ICEs are always run at the slowest RPM and almost wide open throttle that will produce the power required. The FFH can run very efficiently at 15 hp. When you get below that the ICE efficiency starts to drop off and that's when the generator load is added and the EV cycling becomes more efficient. The problem with the 2013 is it allows EV cycles at too high a speed.