arrg

New Owner...So far, not impressed

If you tend to drive it over 65, then you must get the car into its ZONE. Every car has one where just the right throttle position allows the car to cruise at a given speed and use very little gas. It took me a long time to find it in my 2010, but when I can hit it, right around 63 MPH, I can keep it in the 40's.

I discovered this on the 13 as well, but only when the pack is fully charged and I can stay out of EV, I can keep it in the 40's as well at 65 and above. Takes a very light touch and extreme patience. One thing you will get out of it is a stronger right leg too as you will be working the calf muscles.

The speed penalty is 6 mpg for every 10 mph. The EPA highway test speed averages much lower than 75 at 48 mph. That's a 16 mpg loss. The temperature penalty is 2 mpg for every 10º F below about 60-70º F. Headwinds cost 3 mpg per 10 mph wind. It works the other way around also. If you drive very slow in hot weather downwind, the car will manufacture gasoline. Just kidding. It's unfortunate that new model year cars are introduced in the Northern Hemisphere often just as the weather turns colder, windier and rainier, all mileage killers. The cars we used to drive burned about 3 to 4 gallons an hour. These burn a little over a gallon. The difference between 40 and 50 mpg is one quart per hour. Every effect is magnified at these low fuel flows. Headlight high beams cost 0.5 mpg ! Since it looks like Spring will never come for you folks up North, you're stuck.

Learning how to drive my 2010 Milan Hybrid has also helped me develop some better driving habits that have carried over to driving my Mustang more efficiently. However, you can't can't beat the thrill of getting on the V8, I just do it a little less often and when I have the distance to coast more.

Same with the Flex Ecoboost. It is very hard NOT to push into the pedal and feel that thrill of G's when that engine kicks in and gets rolling. However, I have been able to do pretty good so far, keeping it hovering around 20 MPG(provided the dash is accurate). Driving a Hybrid does change the way you drive other cars.

Oh, I wouldnt say that, my 2010 actually gets exceptional MPG on the highway @ 65 MPH. Anywhere from 42-50 MPG depending on temp and traffic. In the Interstate the instant MPG hovers right around 40. The Prius I had I got 65 MPG in it doing 65 from PA to IL. This new one though, new techniques will need to be learned to get good Interstate MPG.

Keep this in mind when I say my 2010, it is only rated at 36 MPG highway, yet I have been getting 6-14 MPG higher on the Interstate,