Sign in to follow this  
tombarker13ffh

3.5 EcoBoost

best I got was 27 in the Flex, but overall highway average was 24. Its a darn good powerful engine, but difficult to be economical with with those turbos. They put so much power down that you do it just for the thrill and there goes the MPG! LOL I also had it in the F150 and was able to get 24 out of it, but that was in a fully loaded max tow F150, and was not easy to do.

Oh I also test drove an MKT with one and mixed city highway returned a really nice 23 MPG.

Edited by acdii

The Flex we had was an SEL AWD. I averaged 18.5 in it for my daily driving which was the same trip I take now with the Fusions. I did play a lot with it though and the day I brought it in for the F150 I got 21 MPG on the same trip, I drove it conservativly as I wanted to spend as much time as I could that day. If you baby it you can get some pretty good numbers out of it, but if you have fun with it, which I did, a lot, 16 is about what you can expect. It is the most versatile car we ever had, and had it not been for the weak brakes and electrical gremlin, I would have kept it. Now that I no longer have it or a pickup, I regret trading it in. Looks like resale is holding up pretty good on them too, I paid 36 for it, and 3 years later they still are selling for 26, at least I cant find one for under that unless it has a boatload of miles on it. Even then its still well over 20K.

Drool factor 10.5

I am still debating if I should just forego the Fusion for another one. They sure are handy to have, and a blast to drive. The MPG is the only thing against it. Although when I test drove an MKT I surprised myself by getting 23 MPG on it.

Has anyone driven a non truck Ford with the twin turbo v6, like the SHO taurus, Explorer Sport or Flex Limited and attempted to get decent highway mileage out of it, upwards of 30mpg?

Well, the opportunity will present itself at some point, but I can say that 20.5 MPG in the first 75 miles driven is not bad at all. Should hold up too as long as right brick keeps the egg from breaking.

156562_526932124015593_888078685_n.jpg

Yeah, finally pulled the plug last night on the Fusion. I kept going back in my mind, want vs need. I really wanted the HyTi, but we didn't need it, but this we did need. I will miss driving the Fusion, it handled so well, and well y'all know how it looks! My dealer came through and thats what mattered most. They gave me 31,500 for the Fusion. More than I had expected, I was expecting more like 29,500.

It isnt the exact one I was looking for, it is missing the Tow and has more options that I wanted, but the deal on it was better than had they got the exact one(which I could not find either) from another dealer. For me the Limited Ecoboost with Tow and 40/40 split back seat was what I had in mind, but this one will do nicely. Overall, the feeling of relief is overwhelming. I still have my 2010 FFH which has been outstanding, and will be for the next few years, and when ready to go, will be replaced by a HyTi, and by then Ford will have the bugs all worked out.

Thanks. So far getting over 20 MPG in it. Not bad for a nearly 5000 pound, 365 HP brick. Weathers finally starting to warm up and now I can get my 10 FFH cleaned up and polished, and give it some well deserved TLC.

To bad the Husky liners dont fit the 10, not sure yet what I will do with them, hang on to them for 4 years until its time for the replacement, sell them, or give them to someone.

I've always wondered what the upper capabilities of the 3.5 EB were and what the aftermarket support was like.

It's already a fantastically powerful engine, but being twin turbo'd and direct injected, I would think the power mods could add power like a diesel could. Larger turbos, larger injectors, tuning, intercooler (if not already on there?), larger fuel pump, etc. I would think with a $10k investment, you can have yourself a comfortable sleeper car that can rival the performance of similar souped up sedans for less.

I dont think it would even take that much to do so. There are some SHO out there already turning in 12 second 1/4 miles on just a tune and CAI. For me, with the Flex getting 21 MPG, I dont want to mess with a good thing. Maybe a few years from now when the warrant has run out, and I have some extra cash, put new breathing equipment on it and a tune, then take it to the track and have some fun.

Yep, oversized on the F150 and has been causing some driveability issues with water being ingested on long drives in humid weather. They have a TSB to install baffles to reduce airflow through it. Like a Diesel though, most gains can be done through tuning.