Sign in to follow this  
B25Nut

Hybrids and the Environment

Read this: http://news.yahoo.com/skeptic-finds-now-agrees-global-warming-real-142616605.htmlhttp://news.yahoo.com/skeptic-finds-now-agrees-global-warming-real-142616605.html

and this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/opinion/the-conversion-of-a-climate-change-skeptic.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

about Richard Muller. He is a scientist at the University of California, Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. His work has been partially funded previously by Koch Foundation grants. His groups research addresses the concrete and asphalt also.

If all passenger vehicles got Prius mileage , we would import no oil from the muddle east ( that was a typo but I'll leave it ).

For me the Hybrid has nothing to do with the environment. Just about all new cars these days have much cleaner emissions than previous cars. More damage has been done to the environment by contractors tearing out good rich soil for growing things that help keep the environment clean, to put up massive single family homes, which after the housing bust have been mainly empty buildings that are now being torn down, with roads leading to no where, and the land wont be restored to what it once was for thousands of years. Seeing that makes me angry and sad all at the same time.

The reason I have hybrids is to save money on gas, mainly due to the fact I put so many miles on every year, roughly around 40K a year, and getting the most MPG for me is very important. I have had some great cars, the Fusion Sport, Loved that car, but it used way too much gas, only averaged 21 MPG, and there was a period of time when gas was well over $4 a gallon that I had to steal from savings just to buy gas, hence the tradeout for the 2010 Fusion Hybrid. While not as much fun as the Sport, it nearly doubled the amount of MPG, which cut our gas bill in half. We also had a Flex Ecoboost, again, great vehicle, and one I wish I never got rid of, that one was traded in with my 99 F350 Dually Diesel on a 12 F150. After 8 months it was decided that the F150 was just not as practical to own as the Flex was, and that we really didnt need it(too late we discovered just how much we actually did use it), and I was "made an offer I couldnt refuse" on the F150 to move to the Fusion hybrid, that and due to the increases in our taxes both Real Estate, State and Fed taxes I needed to cut costs somewhere, and that was with the 13 Fusion. In addition to the lower monthly payment I was counting on getting at least 40 MPG on average in it, which hasnt happened, so I am still a bit shy on balancing out the increases with my budget(grumble).

However, it does give me twice the MPG as the F150 did so can't complain there. This is my fourth Hybrid, and one argument you always hear is how long it takes to recover the premium between the non hybrid vs the Hybrid, and I can tell you right now, that the two toyotas I traded up from both gave me back better than the non Hybrids, on resale the hybrid premium is still there, so you dont really lose anything, just gain a lot by the small amount of gas you use. Going from an F350 Diesel as a daily driver to a Prius my fuel savings were more than what I was paying for the Prius with insurance added in, so it was a free car for me, especially when I traded I got back more than I paid for it, which added up to what I actually spent in gas, Free car for a year.

So for me, it was all about the economy, not the environment, The greenness of the hybrid is washed out when you consider what it takes to make all the materials used to build the car.

If all passenger vehicles got Prius mileage , we would import no oil from the muddle east ( that was a typo but I'll leave it ).

That was partially my reasoning when I bought the Prius in 2005... I have always been a buy-American guy, but it was not possible in 2005 to get a hybrid with really good MPG that I could use for my long commute... don't say Escape Hybrid, got one of those for my wife two weeks after the Prius, didn't have high enough MPG. So my reasoning was well crap if I am gonna fork over my money overseas, I'd rather give the money to the Japanese than to the 'muddle east' as you noted.

So now I am a true red-white-and-blue buy-American guy with my Mexican-built FFH and wife's Canadian-built Edge.... oy vey.

Toyota still uses Nickel batteries, which still need to be mined, though with the recycling centers, soon first gen packs will be ready to be scrapped and they will be recycled into new packs. Ford uses Lion packs, not sure where the material comes from, they may use some nickel in them, but not sure the ratio compared to the NimH packs.

American cars all, North and Central American - we're saving them too.

Say Jeff, in your icon over there on the left, what's that lady doing with her foot on that guys neck?

That's the flag for the Commonwealth of Virginia, which has the motto "Sic Semper Tyrannis", which translates to "Thus Always to Tyrants" -- The Seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia shows Virtue, spear in hand, with her foot on the prostrate form of Tyranny, whose crown lies nearby.