steveo358

Spare Tire for fusion hybrid

My FFH is on order, but I have started acquiring my temp spare items. I found a brand new jack and handle on eBay for $27.00. And have found many "like new" Fusion temp spares (tire and rim) from vehicles with 17" tires for less than $100.00 at part recyclers in my area. I'll be making a trip to check some out this week. I'm hoping the total cost will be less $125.00 everything.

I didn't make it under $125 but it came to just over $200 for rim and tire (tirerack.com had a closeout rim for $79 and tire for $99, plus shipping). I was debating whether I really wanted to put down that much money for something that would not be used much, if at all. However, a couple other factors came into play -

1 - Wife's Energi wheels are same size, so this spare could be used on either car when needed.

2 - I drive a lot of miles and over the past 5-10 years have picked up a nail or screw in a tire every 8-12 months, so it's likely that I'll come out to the garage one day and be glad that I have the spare out in the shed.

It is definitely not a match for the OEM wheels, but was a better match (and cheaper due to closeout) than a plain steel wheel.

Spare_Wheel_zps3914c985.jpg

I was looking for a spare tire as well for my FFH. I do not have the Titanium so my tires are 17". I haven't moved on it because I don't think there is one out there that can fit in the trunk. I'm not convinced that the Tire mobility kit will be working for me in this hot Florida heat when I need it to work.

Still constructing the Frankenspare...

EBay can be a little tough as there are not many pictures and may not be worth the shipping costs

if you get a bent rim

Continental T135/90 - $121 shipped from TIreRack - took one day to get.

Rim is cheap here - $115 shipped: http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/oemparts.php?partstr=123/CV6Z1015B.html

Anybody get a "non-Windstar" jack that works? Like like all the recent Ford jacks are about the same at least

in looks.

What the heck, I bit on this very item and will report back once I have it in hand. I too think it should work

fine. You took the risk on the tire/rim, so I'll take the risk on this.

I measured just the unmounted tire against the 18" Goodyear LS-2 and it indeed, visually at least

1/2" or so smaller. Probably will be the best matched spare tire/donut to any car on the road!

My only hope is that if needed, it would not damage the transmission at all for a short drive -

I'd doubt it and you (GrySql) would know if it did - just hope this isn't the reason Ford didn't provide one.

Or maybe we're just better engineers that the Ford co-op student who would have to come up

with a spare for that car :) !