steveo358

Spare Tire for fusion hybrid

The wheel and the tire are both 16", right? Sure it's going to be pretty awkward if it needs to be used (personally I like the comment someone else made, if needed move a good tire to the front and this dinky one on the back), it's only designed to be a temp thing for a short distance and just keep you from being stuck on the side of the road, right?

Not sure why the actual tire size should vary so much from the Contenental, but

one I got from TireRack lists as: T135/90R-16 Continental CST 17

I don't know if the CST17 is key (meaning Compact Spare TIre for 17" size tire?)

or the R/D (don't think that matters). But I would think they'd be the same

circumference...

I am waiting on my rim, but even if you compare the slightly smaller size to most

donut tires, it still should work fine.

I did get a 2011 Fusion jack off EBay, in pristine condition too and the lug nut

size is definitely the same, I will test the jack this weekend, but I think it's perfect.

Even got a spare funnel for gas.

I didn't make it under $125 but it came to just over $200 for rim and tire (tirerack.com had a closeout rim for $79 and tire for $99, plus shipping). I was debating whether I really wanted to put down that much money for something that would not be used much, if at all. However, a couple other factors came into play -

1 - Wife's Energi wheels are same size, so this spare could be used on either car when needed.

2 - I drive a lot of miles and over the past 5-10 years have picked up a nail or screw in a tire every 8-12 months, so it's likely that I'll come out to the garage one day and be glad that I have the spare out in the shed.

It is definitely not a match for the OEM wheels, but was a better match (and cheaper due to closeout) than a plain steel wheel.

I had to go back and look at my past post, where I said I pick up a nail or screw in a tire every 8-12 months... I guess I'm ahead of schedule as it was exactly 2 months since I got the spare, but glad I got it since I found a nice present this morning! Just walked back to the shed and got the full-size spare - as when I pulled that screw/bolt out with the vise grips, the air all came out too.

Tire_Bolt_zps8fdfb86d.jpg

Edited by jeff_h