steveo358

Spare Tire for fusion hybrid

Sorry it happened, but it looks repairable at least. When I was talking to the service man at Ford he agreed that you do not want to use that goo in your tires to limp home.

That's what I thought too, was excited since the puncture was near the center of the tire and easy to patch, whereas most of the time it's near the sidewall and they can't do it... however, they called back and said well something also took a chunk out of the sidewall and that has a slow leak, so sorry it needs to be replaced anyway.... ughhh. When I went back to get the new tire she asked if I wanted to see the old tire, I said OK sure... and below is why it had to be replaced - bitten by a honey badger I guess... they just don't give a crap.

Tire_Chunk_zps25a79f2f.jpg

Yes , my mind goes all wacky when I think of how stupid it is for these Car Companies to think these Air Compressors & Goo will work in any situation and that's the Only choice they give you.

The can of goo is intact in the area that would hold at least a donut tire, if I ran the world... so I agree with you. This occurred on my wife's Energi and all seemed fine when I drove a mile down the road to hit the ATM as we were about to take a day trip -- I got back home and when we left the house again 30 minutes later, clunk clunk clunk it went -- so I guess I picked it up in the parking lot of Wawa or in the 9/10 of a mile back to my house -- glad it didn't happen to her while out on daily normal crosstown trips, or 30 miles away on the day trip we took. So if this fills my punch-card (so to speak) for tire issues for the next year or so, we got off lucky!

Hey it's me again, once again glad that I purchased a full size spare that sits in my shed... now 23 days after the above incident, wife comes in from driving around town and says when she got out of the car she hears a hissing and can feel a bump right on the top of the right rear tire (the one from 23 days ago was right front) -- so rather than put all the pics into one, this one deserves separate pics. Lord knows where this one came from, we just drive in regular streets in the 'burbs for Pete's sake.

So here is the rim when I got it off the car, yep pretty easy to spot that thing right in the middle:

Tire_20130925a_zps0e48dfdd.jpg

Here's a close-up, looks like a large nail?

Tire_20130925b_zps8b0b2dd7.jpg

But it was not a nail, was tough to pull the thing out of the tire... geez I think she ran over a push-rod!

Tire_20130925c_zpsbe5cc9cd.jpg

Yikes that's quick a pick-up!

Tire_20130925d_zpsc8f7134e.jpg

So now the spare is on, tomorrow afternoon will go see my friends at the tire shop again see if maybe this one can be patched/plugged without needing full replacement!

Jeff, it sure is hard to believe that you are simply having bad karma when it comes to tire mishaps. That last piece of crap in the Energi sure seems suspect as a road pickup. Hope there is no truth to the saying "Bad luck comes in threes". Here's hoping you are done with this trouble. Maybe what you need is a Rottweiler parking aid.

It is pretty strange, but her trip home was 15 miles and I got a text message on my cell phone from the MyFordMobile site that her car had a low pressure alert, and 5 minutes later she walks in the door to tell me about the tire and that she can feel something in there... and it was halfway flat by the time I got the floor jack and raised it - so it was deflating pretty quickly (understandably) and so my best guess is that she picked it up while going through a median crossover that doesn't get traveled much since the rest of the road is heavily traveled and something like that would very likely be bounced off to a shoulder if if dropped from a vehicle. Maybe it's the Michelin Man or one of his minions.