djminfll

Cold weather/Warm weather

The 2010 is affected only in I lose less than 5 MPG on the coldest days, and gets very close to warm weather MPG above 20*, above 50* it gets over EPA. This of course is when I drive it to get it, but usually I just drive it and get what it gets. 35 in Winter, 40 in Summer. So far my summer/winter driving is about 38. I excluded the first winter from Fueleconomy.gov because of a bad map sensor and related poor MPG, which is what is posted below for lifetime. It's 38 on the FE.G site. Total lifetime on Fuelly.

Only if you use the AC. If you can suffer through the heat without it, then the MPG shouldnt suffer. At least our 2010 doesn't, who knows how it affect the 13, the difference between the two in cold is drastic. We should find out within the next few months as spring comes and so does the heat.

So,I have a question. I live in LA where the summer temperatures can and often do reach 100F and more during summer months. I keep hearing that the MPG will get better when it gets warmer. My question is whether there is an upper temperature limit where the MPG suffers above that point? Thanks.

In my experience, the MPG is good until it hits about 90 and then starts to go down from there, and the hot & humid days of 95-100+ were bigger killers. I observed that with the Prius and the 2010 FFH, both with the NiMH batteries -- from the posts I've seen on the 2013 from those living in the colder regions it appears that the Li-Ion batteries may hold more juice and perform better and all that, but it appears to me that they are also more volatile to the temperature changes.... so I'm also curious as to whether the really hot summers will have the same effect on the MPG or maybe take more of a hit with the Li-Ion, time will tell.

As an illustration of the MPG changes, below is the link to my 2010 FFH (now sold) page where I made 280 fill-ups... scroll down a little bit and you'll see the month-by-month graph and see the MPG hit from last July, which was quite a hot one in the DC area with several 100+ temperature days and sticky humidity too. And if you scroll down farther on that page you can scroll through at each fill-up and look for ones where the MPG took a dive that may have been related to temps. Note - fill-up that had another fill on the same or adjacent day were probably part of a road trip which normally had slightly lower MPGs, rather than due to temp changes.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/jeffh/fusion

Edited by jeff_h

I'm not sure that you can compare FFH and CMAX to any other Hybrid especially because of Lithium-ion batt. Two to three months it will be in the 100's in Phoenix and we will see.

Yes sir, "so I'm also curious as to whether the really hot summers will have the same effect on the MPG or maybe take more of a hit with the Li-Ion, time will tell."

I dont know how much different Lion are to Lipo, but I know when its hot out, they have lower capacity. On a hot 95* day I have fewer flight minutes in my electrics than on a 70* day. I havent used the Lion packs in my 330L yet, so cant tell what their capacity it.

AC does take a hit on MPG, but not too much, at least on the others I drove, wont know for a few months the impact on these. Hopefully nothing like how the cold impacts it. In my other car its about 2 MPG lower with AC on in city driving, highway though the wind drag with windows open is equal to the AC use, so its a wash.