Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Drivers Seat Review

High praise, but they are also showing poor fuel economy with the Fusion Hybrid. See a pattern?

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2013/01/26/review-2013-ford-fusion-hybrid/tab/comments/#comment-108723

Here come the numbers: I drove the Fusion Hybrid SE ($27,200 to start) with the luxury package and a long menu of driver-assist systems, including blind-spot monitoring, lane-departure warning, dynamic cruise control and self-parking ($35,365, as tested). The Fusion Hybrid employs the identical powertrain as Ford’s C-Max Hybrid; and, like the C-Max, the Fusion falls short of its claimed 47 miles per gallon in real-world driving, but not by so much. In the Fusion Hybrid, I managed to achieve an absolute minimum mileage of 38.1 mpg. Most of the time I was in the 40s. I’m obliged to point out that 10 years ago, such fuel economy for a big sedan was science fiction.

I reviewed my mileage log for my 2010 from day one. The lowest I ever got on a tank was 31 MPG. That is only 5 MPG below the highway rating, and majority of my driving is highway, so 5 MPG loss is not bad, but 9 MPG????

I talked to my dealer saturday, he is getting together with the service manager and the area rep on this. I emailed him my logbook too. I have been documenting every trip this week since my last fill. I drove 2 days and used a half tank of gas. I can go twice as many days on a half tank in the 2010.

I also talked with the other Hybrid owner who had a 2012 FFH and got consistent 43, and he is also seeing low numbers and is not pleased either with his 2013, his has the stock 17" wheels and EnergySaver tires, so that pretty much tells me it isn't tires that's an issue. He said in the 12 he just drove it and always got good MPG, but he has to work this new one to get anything decent in it, and I tend to agree.

My biggest beef is the lack of attention Ford is giving on this. I told him all I am looking for is acknowledgement that Ford is actively working on a fix for this and not just blowing it off.