fusionTX

2013 Hybrid Gas Tank Size

One thing I wanted to mention that I have noticed regarding people saying that can't put more than 10-10.5 gallons in. I have noticed that if the vehicle is sitting on a downward slope it takes less than if it were on an upward slope. Obviously the way the tank is positioned and where the fill tube enters is the reason for this. Just my observation.

Interesting observation - one of my regular stations has a slight slope at the pumps, will have to try out that theory with a couple different fill-ups.

One thing I learned on my other late model cars is that the electric fuel pump is in the gas tank.

One important reason it's there is to keep it cool, the fuel sloshing around does that.

Those of us that live in hotter parts of the USA need to be aware that consistently running the gas down to empty can cause a fuel pump overheat and lower the pumps lifespan.

I'm not sure where the electric fuel pump is on the FFH but would suspect it's still positioned in the gas tank.

Sometimes it's unavoidable to run to the empty mark but I try to fill at no less than the 1/4 tank level.

I made that mistake once in a 1992 Crown Vic, and had it not been for the extended warranty, that burned out fuel pump would have cost me $2500 in repairs as it took out all the wires in the trunk too. I was driving home, pulled in my driveway and smelled melting plastic, shut the car off and smoke was coming in through a speaker. I opened the trunk, carefully I might add, and all the wires in the trunk were scorched. Had the car towed to the dealer and they said the fuel pump caused it, why the fuse didnt blow, turned out the wrong fuse was installed. Ever since then, I rarely ever get the tank down to empty.

Interesting observation - one of my regular stations has a slight slope at the pumps, will have to try out that theory with a couple different fill-ups.

The ScanGuageII says to fill the car at a level position, and use the same pump for at least 3 fills for calibration, stopping at the first click. I used the same pump every time and found if I roll 1 foot further, the car would angle down, and would throw off the numbers, but dont remember if it was more or less.

I gave up trying to figure out just how much gas it holds. Fill to first click and move on. Neither of the trip computers gives an accurate fuel usage anyway, just glad that its in the mid 40's.