mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

I just picked up the 2013 Fusion HyTi at the dealers. Here is exactly what they noted and found (This could happen to you as well):

11331 UNABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN OF NEEDING TO BE JUMP STARTED, CONTACTED CUSTOMER WAS INFORMED STOP SAFELY NOW AND WRENCH LIGHT ALSO APPEARED ON DASH. EEC TESTED AND RECEIVED NUMEROUS NETWORK DTC'S U0253, U0265 ETC. FOUND RELATED SSM 44614 AND REMOVED CENTER CONSOLE SIDE TRIM PANEL AND DC/AC INVERTER TO BE ABLE TO INSPECT HARNESS FOR RUM THROUGH CONDITION. FOUND A RUB THROUGH ON A WIRE IN HARNESS 14401 NEAR CONNECTOR 3501. REPAIRED WIRE AND INSTALLED FOAM TAPE AROUND THE INVERTER TO PREVENT FUTURE HARNESS CONCERNS, RE-TESTED. NO LIGHTS ARE PRESENT. COMPLETE.

Evidently, it took 22 months for this condition to occur. the only moving part in the center console is the automatic shifter. Hopefully, our 2014 won't exhibit the same concern at some future time.

Doesn't the center console get removed as part of the RCM replacement for the 14S21 recall? I'm pretty sure it does, and hope that in the course of the 14S21 work they inspect this affected harness/wire area and insulate it better (per the SSM) as a preventive measure. As for me, when it's time to actually get the RCM replaced per the recall I will ask them to also perform the SSM 44614 action to protect the harness/wires better and maybe prevent this happening to either of mine.