B25Nut

Why choose the Hybrid?

I used to drive an F350 Dually diesel. When diesel started to get obnoxiously high, we bought a Prius(sorry for the vulgarity), and our fuel costs dropped so much, it paid for the car. Since that car was a PITA to drive, horrible with cross winds, and forget about tire slip, you go nowhere, we traded it in for a Hyundai Veracruz, there wasnt enough room in the p for 6 people, nor 3 children. I got back more than I owed on the car, and also got nearly $2000 back in cash from the warranty and overpayment of the loan. The F350 sat, diesel was just too expensive, and we really had no use for the truck. We had a Crown Vic that was showing its age that we also traded in on the Veracruz, so we were really down to one car. Turns out we needed a second car, especially where we live, nothing in walking distance.

I then got a good deal on a 2009 Camry Hybrid. This was before Ford came out with the FFH in 2010. Since we put at least 500 mile a week on one car, the cost savings in gas made up the difference. We eventually got rid of the Camry, mainly due to we just did not like it, and it had this weird quirk of shutting off the regen while slowing from 55 MPH, and suddenly no braking, so you had to push further down on the brake, which caused us to pitch forward from a sudden stop. We couldnt afford the new FFH, but found a really nice Sport model, and man what a great car, drove it 2 years, put over 40K on it, and then gas prices spiked over $3.50 a gallon, and suddenly we were taking from savings to pay for gas.

My dealer worked some magic and found us a nearly new used 2010 FFH, only 850 miles on it, and we sadly swapped rides, but again cut gas bills in half. We all miss the Sport, it was a fun car. Went through a few more vehicles for the second car, a 2010 Flex EB, and that was a great vehicle, but again 18 MPG, but the whole family fit in it. Finally decided to replace the F350 garage queen with a new F150, and got rid of the Flex at the same time. Had the F150 for 8 months, drove it to CA and back, and it really was a nice truck, but 16 MPG, and I used it to haul my planes, and take the family out to dinner.

Finally decided, why do I have a pickup? I can put a hitch on our old Grand Marquis and pull a trailer instead, so made a great deal on the 2013 FFH for the F150, so now down to 2 Ford Fusion Hybrids. Even though the new one is not getting what my old one does, it still is nice to drive all week and only put in $25 in gas. It would cost over $100 to fill the F150.

With that same rational, can the new 2013 meet or beat my 2010 Fusion Hybrid. The answer on mine so far is nope! It is a nicer car, and has some cool tech, but it so far does not come close to its potential.

Here's the other things about the competitors, they're all vanilla. Safe? Yes. Dependable? Got it. Boring? You bet! That's my opinion at least coming from a Toyota owner.

100%!

Although Prius lovers would say otherwise.