Sign in to follow this  
Fynack

2013 Fusion Hybrid MPG and Tire Size and Make

The fact you are getting 35 means you are doing something right, that's how mine was for the first few thousand miles, now its up to a measly 38 with 4800 or so miles on it. Going to pass 35K on my 2010 today.

Are yours the Goodyear LR-2 tires?

Yep, reset it a few times already including both trip meters. I usually keep one from the first day I get the car, but it got reset when the tech drove the car. The new one is at 34.7 the old one 35.7, both were reset on the same day, the new one driven a few hundred more miles than the 2010, and my wife drove the 2010 on Monday and reduced the 34.6 I had to 33.2, I got it back up to 35.7 with 37.7 to and from work.

FWIW I got the 37+ to and from work in my 2010 FFH without trying. Its what I seem to get in the new one, with trying, one eye on the dash trying to keep the speed up while maximizing MPG.

I am considering getting some rims and Energy Savers for this car and finding out once and for all if its the tires. I was hoping they were the same size as what is on my 2010, but they are 235 vs 225, all else the same. It would reduce my speedometer by 1 MPH in the car if I put them on the 2010. The dealer may be able to recalibrate the system though for a small charge if it comes to that.

My thoughts are if the tires are not the issue on the 2013, I can put the new tires on my 2010, since they are about ready to be replaced, and I could always find someone to buy the rims, but if it turns out it is the tires and the MPG improve up to what I should be getting, then I have ammo to go back to Ford with and get compensated for the tire change. If they give me crap over that, I could always find someone who would like the rims and tires for their car.

Yep giving Ford grief over this, I let the F150 MPG slide after I gave it some thought and found that I can get over 21 MPG in it on the highway, it just didn't do well in daily driving due to its gearing and weight. However, on this car, given its the same weight, gearing etc as all the others, and it is so far under what I would expect it to get, that I am going to keep pushing until it gets resolved. One, I have been driving Hybrids, and getting EPA or better in them since 2007, and two, I am not the only one getting such poor MPG in it. In the end, what helps me, will help them too.

I do like the car, it is shexy, it handles really well, it is very comfortable, I could never have driven my 2010 to Fl and back without a hurting back, but this one, no pain at all. The MyFordTouch I hope they get the glitches fixed and Applink working in it, my only true complaint other then the MPG. The whole point of my bitchin is had I wanted a car that got 38 MPG highway, there is this Red Focus I had my eye on that is just so sporty looking, that I could have instead and saved $10K. For the MPG this one gets, I would have been better off buying a Ti 2.0 EB and also saved a couple grand and just driven the crap out of it, at least it would have more giddy up than this one. More fitting for the style of the car.

One thing for sure, looks like the Fusion is doing better than the Cmax when it comes to MPG.

As far as the tires go, they have very good traction in rain and snow, and the car handles really well with them, and they should be since they are considered performance tires.

Watch the ^ above the battery, if you dont see any, you need to enable the advanced mode in the settings. Whenever I lift my foot, that ^ appears. That means it is charging.

Got a new one today, CEL came on, blinking after I pulled out with about a 3rd throttle, car accelerated, lurched and started to rumble for about a mile. I felt it, no one else did, they were too busy in their own world. The more I think about it, the more I believe I made a bad decision with this car.

Look at where those drivers say they are from. Most are in the lower 48 where the temps are warmer than up north. However there is one driver up north with snow tires that is killing it, he is getting mid to high 40's!

Yeah, second the line of Bull. If that were true then when you build and price, and add the Drivers package it would prompt you if you want to add the 18" wheel package too. As far as the tire size, the 18's dont impact the MPG as first thought, if they do, no more than a mile or two. In fact when they last tested my car, they compared it against another hybrid that had 17" wheels, and my car did 1 MPG better.

The Luxury package doesnt add very much to the sticker, less than $700.

They do look good though, and the handling and snow traction make them worth the price. This is the first FWD car I ever drove that handled as well as the 4x4 and AWD cars I have driven.

Which driver assist did you give up? Agreed though, those Goodyear tires are worlds better than the Energy Savers in handling and traction, yet still return decent MPG. I had questioned their LRR at first, but they proved to be just that. Going to get a set for my 2010.