acdii

2013 Owners, Post your tires and MPG

No, you pretty much have it.

235-50-18 is the Michelin, and is slightly larger than the Goodyear, which equates to 2 MPH more. The car would need to be recalibrated provided the tire clears the wheel wells. The OEM 17's are 235 50 17's, 1 inch difference, From what I can tell, the 17 vs 18 OEM is .24. so the Michelin would be about 3/4" larger.

try 5 MPG. I did some driving today for work that would have easily netted 45-50 MPG in my 2010, but came up 5 MPG short in the new car. Just to confirm this car slows down quickly on its own, I had my wife follow in the 2010, she had to ride the brake when I took my foot off the gas so she wouldn't run into me. In fact driving my old car home I darn near missed my turn because I got so used to the new one slowing so fast with barely touching the brake, that the old one just didnt slow down as I expected it to. The new car slows down on its own about the same rate as me lightly riding the brake to get the regen circle going, there really is no perceptible change between coasting and braking.

Also keep in mind, I drive the same trip everyday so I know what my MPG will be on any given day in the 2010, and when I cant even achieve that in the new car, well, something is wrong, and it isnt a mere 2 MPG, its at least 5. I should be getting 43 highway, given the fact the car is new, and the drop in MPG due to the temps, so a 4 MPG drop from 47 is what I expect to see, and what others are seeing, instead I see 38, now this is 38 via the dash display, when you look at the actual gallons used vs miles it is even lower.

In any case it is in the shop now, so hopefully they can find a reason for the poor FE.

At the end it was 47.3 MPG. Riding on OEM 18" Goodyear Eagle LS-2 tires.

Thanks for the update, about what was the outside temperature?

The temp was 32 degrees. Very pleased with the results.

Well that's good to hear that the MPG was good, and while it's not realistic for most to drive 55 or under all the time (I set my cruise on 70), nice to see that the results were good.

Are the 18" non LRR tires but the 17's are LRR (on the 2013 Fusion SE hybrid - could a person get the 18 inch tires and keep a close watch on PSI and expect good MPG ((45 city))) ?

signed potential 2013 appearance + tech FFH SE buyer

Are the 18" non LRR tires but the 17's are LRR (on the 2013 Fusion SE hybrid - could a person get the 18 inch tires and keep a close watch on PSI and expect good MPG ((45 city))) ?

signed potential 2013 appearance + tech FFH SE buyer

Hopefully I will be able to tell you in a couple months... door sticker will probably say 32-25 psi but I'm setting all of them at 40 as I did with the Prius and with this Fusion, hasn't made a huge difference for me, maybe 1-2 MPG, but driving 3-3.5k per month I'll take it.

The Service Manager is taking my car home, he lives 45 minutes away from the shop, so he should have a good road test. It will be a mix of rural and highway too. I had put 45 PSI in the goodyears and it actually made the MPG worse. When I reduced them to 34, which is what the sticker says, the MPG improved.

Been driving my 2010 the past 2 days, my wife had it all last week while I was out of town and she killed the MPG on it. It was down to 36.6. Temps 32 this morning, managed to get a bit over 39! Pretty sad when I can do that in a car rated 9 MPG lower than the new car, and yet have to work harder to get that in the new car on warmer days.

Impatiently waiting on the test results.

thats the same tire on the 2010!

I should spend the $600 and get a set of 17" rims and just put my old tires on them and get new ones for my 2010.

Well as I've said before I have Hankook Studded snows 225-50-r17 on all four. The weather has generally been cold and we're getting another 2" of snow as I type. The paved roads have mostly been clear except for some drifting. The dirt roads are snow covered and quite messy. Went to breakfast this morning got 55.1 on the way down the hill and 23.8 on the way home for around 39mpg. Long term mileage holding at 37mpg.

You are doing pretty good with snow tires!