Howie411

The 6 1/2 hr drive home in the snow

Haven't had too many days of snow here this year. We had the one storm in December and the rest have just poofed out before arriving. We seem to be in some sort of vortex between the sea and mountains that basically changes the weather. North of us can get clobbered with all kinds of stuff and even South but for some reason.......more times than not we do escape. Sucks when you are hoping for a good storm for rain and it skips over you. Anyhow, has anyone changed their gas in the tires....from plain old compressed air to nitrogen.......noticed any different effects in the snow? I ask because I did and noticed a difference in the car on dry and wet pavement. It is for the better on both so I hope the law of averages works in my favor. I also noticed an increase in mileage of about 2-3mpg as well. Still a long season ahead. We have seen snow as late as April even in this area. Happened in 2007. Even back in Atlanta March seemed to deliver a couple wallops while I lived there over the last 20-30 years. I don't know but this year for ya'll to our North....it reminds me of the 60's and 70's. There were some very good storms during those decades. Growing up and living in Chicago I remember the winters of '67, 72. 77, 78-79 and even 83 and 84-85 being very cold and filled with snow. Coldest winters I ever experienced were those of 83-84 and 84-85. Seem to remember the temp being 47 below a couple times and that was not the wind chill. We canceled Christmas at my families because it was so cold we didn't want to get stuck on the road. I also remember having an old four-banger EXP with a 5spd that I had to keep running over night to keep it from freezing solid so I could get to work the next day. That was a cold winter and one of my last for years living in the North!!!!!! Then I somehow ended up in NY South of Rochester. Sheesh!!!!!