WEHorton

Blind Spot Intervention System Flaw

This hasn't happened to me either, but some have reported similar issues.

Per the OM:

BLIS False Alerts

Due to the nature of radar technology, there may be certain instances when the BLIS will alert with no object present in the blind zone. This is known as a false alert. Some level of false alerts are normal. Circumstances that may cause a false alert are guardrails, freeway concrete walls, cyclone fencing, sharp turns around a pole or building, or coming to a stop with a vehicle directly behind but very close. False alerts are temporary and self correct.

I get the BLIS error once a month or so, its no fun but if it reset when there was an error think of the risk for FoMoCo, how to document it (sorry I creamed you, thought the BLIS had reset) - I'm glad for the BlIS system working 95 percent of the time, wish it was 100 percent though superhero.gif

I get the BLIS error once a month or so, its no fun but if it reset when there was an error think of the risk for FoMoCo, how to document it (sorry I creamed you, thought the BLIS had reset) - I'm glad for the BlIS system working 95 percent of the time, wish it was 100 percent though superhero.gif

What risk would Ford be at if you hit somebody b/c of a BLIS malfunction?

OM:

WARNING: To help avoid injuries, NEVER use the BLIS as a replacement for using the side and rear view mirrors and looking over your shoulder before changing lanes. BLIS is not a replacement for careful driving and only an assist.

What risk would Ford be at if you hit somebody b/c of a BLIS malfunction?

OM:

The added complexity of a self correcting BLIS system and trying to explain how it works / how to use it to consumers could open Ford up to all sorts of creative lawsuits instead they (FoMoCo) seemed to have taken the easy cheap way out (if too many BLIS errors then stop working til next reset) and hopefully the short disclaimer about not relying on BLIS will keep them out of hot water.

Edited by rfruth

The added complexity of a self correcting BLIS system and trying to explain how it works / how to use it to consumers could open Ford up to all sorts of creative lawsuits instead they (FoMoCo) seemed to have taken the easy cheap way out (if too many BLIS errors then stop working til next reset) and hopefully the short disclaimer about not relying on BLIS will keep them out of hot water.

Well, I certainly can agree that too many consumers are guilty of not bothering to read the owners guide and, as a result, make warranty claims with no basis. I also agree that people can get creative with lawsuits, but I don't think Ford took the "easy cheap way out." I think there's a flaw the in BLIS in specific cars. I say this b/c I don't have these problems with my MKZ. On the rare occasions where I thought the warning was staying on too long, it eventually cleared itself without a restart once I got away from the "trigger," e.g., center median, guard rail, plus there is a TSB for this issue.

I can only assume that my dealer must have checked my vehicle for the TSB since it's been there multiple times for this problem. Oh well.

Well, I googled the error message and see that people with the MKZ and the Ford Edge are both reporting the problem also. Looks like this is just something that Ford engineered about half way, then decided it was good enough to release. It looks like more people have reported the problem with the Fusion because it has had the BLIS system on it longer than the Edge, and because they sell more Fusions than MKZ's. Just a guess.

There ya go, quality designed in?

At least it's the only complaint I have about the car so far. Maybe they'll come up with a software update. I keep hoping.

You can't assume anything. Look at your service ticket. When a TSB procedure is performed on a vehicle, it will be shown on the service ticket. What does yours say in response to your complaint? Have you spoken to the service manager about this? Is your car in the build date range for the TSB. You might just need a new driver's side mirror, or a new dealer.

I agree with your point about relying on the system. I always do a mirror and head turn check. I also use my turn signal (I think I might be the only one up here that does). There was one of those times though when somehow I completely missed the car... it must have moved over or in or something because I SWEAR IT WASN'T THERE!... but I saw the orange light on as I went to move over and thought "that darn thing is malfunctioning." Another shoulder check to see what could be bugging the sensor and it was a car. Ugh, I'm telling you is wasn't there before. So the technology is a nice back-up for the normal human condition of being imperfect.

What I do find very valuable on a regular basis is the other feature of the system, backing out of a parking lot. Often I'm boxed in by larger cars and I just can't see much. The warning is a bit more sensitive than I would like but it is nice to know that it sees something. I it does and I don't have a bead yet on whatever it is yet I can be even more cautious.

Jon

Once in awhile, I also observe false BLIS warning lights on my mirrors but they soon reset on their own. Interestingly, I can't recall ever hearing any sound indicating one was lit up regardless of whether it was an actual valid warning or a false alarm.

For the life of me I just can't get excited over this feature...whether the light is on or not I always turn my head after glancing in the mirror just to make sure no other car is present and/or approaching at a high-rate of speed before I change lanes. To rely on BLIS alone is dangerous and even the manual warns you of this. Because of the printed warning, all liability rests with the driver in the event of a collision.

Personally, I would rather have LED turn indicators mounted on or underneath the mirrors to warn other drivers and pedestrians of my intentions in addition to or instead of having a light telling me that there may or may not be another car nearby.

I agree with your point about relying on the system. I always do a mirror and head turn check. I also use my turn signal (I think I might be the only one up here that does). There was one of those times though when somehow I completely missed the car... it must have moved over or in or something because I SWEAR IT WASN'T THERE!... but I saw the orange light on as I went to move over and thought "that darn thing is malfunctioning." Another shoulder check to see what could be bugging the sensor and it was a car. Ugh, I'm telling you is wasn't there before. So the technology is a nice back-up for the normal human condition of being imperfect.

What I do find very valuable on a regular basis is the other feature of the system, backing out of a parking lot. Often I'm boxed in by larger cars and I just can't see much. The warning is a bit more sensitive than I would like but it is nice to know that it sees something. I it does and I don't have a bead yet on whatever it is yet I can be even more cautious.

Jon

Completely agree with your assessment, but if you use this method for setting your outside rear view mirrors, BLIS is rendered pretty much useless. It takes some getting used to but you'll be amazed at how much you can now see. With the mirrors set this way, I find that I see cars in my blind spot about a half to a full car length before the BLIS warning light comes on.

The cross traffic alert, however, is much more useful. Again there's no substitute for looking but this does the looking for you when you can't see a thing. Yes, it does give occasional false alarms but I'm more than willing to put up with that.

I had real problems in this area, for over a year, and they started nearly the day we bought the car. A f ew months into this, we took the car to the dealer with intermittent BLIS faults and they did nothing, not being able "to reproduce the problem". I lived with faults for about a year, until they were happening daily. I took it back in, and they replaced one of the side mirrors, saying that is what the Ford docs said to do. This didn't fix the problem so I took it back and they replaced the other mirror, which did eliminate the problem.

All that being said, I have received the stuck indicators and faults when driving a distance next to a hard surface (like a wall on the freeway). This happens very infrequently and I do believe it is simply inherent to the system. I also had this happen in the pouring rain (infrequent in Phoenix).

Here are the errors I was getting prior to the fix.

post-4240-045672500 1293210277_thumb.jpg

post-4240-055584100 1293210289_thumb.jpg

I have a 10' fusion hybrid- how do I get the blis system to make the noise that some of you are describing when it senses something? Thank you

The BLIS system is active only in "L" or "D" and makes no sound. The CTA, if installed is active only in "R" and activates the yellow dot in the side mirror and shows a message center advisory and an audible rapid series of beeps.